[Peace-discuss] Allawi Speech

Lisa Chason chason at shout.net
Fri Oct 8 13:05:16 CDT 2004

Lawmaker Expresses "Dismay" that White House Allegedly Wrote Allawi
Speech
Agence France Presse

Thursday 30 September 2004

Washington - In a letter to the White House, a leading US Senate
Democrat
expressed "profound dismay" that the White House allegedly wrote a large
portion of Iraqi Prime Minister Iyad Allawi's speech to Congress last
week.
"I want to express my profound dismay about reports that officials from
your administration and your reelection campaign were 'heavily involved'
in
writing parts of Prime Minister Ayad Allawi's speech," California
Senator
Dianne Feinstein wrote in a letter to President George W. Bush.
"You may be surprised by this, Mr. President, but I viewed Prime
Minister
Allawi's speech as an independent view on conditions in Iraq," she
wrote.
"His speech gave me hope that reconstruction efforts were proceeding in
most of the country and that elections could be held on schedule."
"To learn that this was not an independent view, but one that was
massaged by your campaign operatives, jaundices the speech and reduces
the
credibility of his remarks," Feinstein wrote.
Her letter was a response to an article appearing in Thursday's
Washington Post, which also alleged that Allawi was coached by US
officials - including Dan Senor, former spokesman for the Coalition
Provisional Authority in
Iraq - in perfecting his delivery of the speech delivered before a joint
session of
Congress one week ago.

-------

C Copyright 2004 by TruthOut.org

"To look with the eyes and see with the heart is the secret of the
Philosopher's Stone."   ~Petrus Bonus