[Peace-discuss] What do we do now?

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 9 15:36:44 CDT 2004

Well, we hope so, anyway.

And I think Carl is right.  Mahajan has an excellent
point, although I think we will need to go a bit
further to have a noticeable impact.

For example, I just interviewed the respected
sociologist Francis Fox Piven (Poor People's
Movements, The Politics of Turmoil, Why Americans
Don't Vote, etc.), who has made a life's work of
studying movements, as the subtitle of one of her
books says, "how they succeed, why they fail."

She pointed out, among other things, that "...what
that movement did was express opinion.  They marched
in large numbers, they rallied, and it was a kind of
voting, voting in the streets.  I think a successful
antiwar movement has to act in ways that throw sand in
the gears of the war machine.  Resistance has to be
more serious."

And in fact that is what her research shows, time and
again: opinion is one thing and it depends on whether
anyone cares about your opinion, but disruption is
impossible to ignore.

Food for thought.

Ricky