[Peace-discuss] What do we do now?

Morton K.Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Sat Oct 9 18:37:01 CDT 2004

I think much of this is nonsense! What does Mahajan recommend aside
from facile generalities? He seems to be saying that trying to defeat
Bush isn't worth the effort, because it detracts from other antiwar
activities; we must be more militant. Evidently, his mind doesn't
encompass the possibility that people in the antiwar movement can do
more than one thing at a time; they can march in demonstrations, make
protests, throw sand in the system, and still work/want to defeat Bush
in the election. Chomsky, Zinn and many others, evidently, according to
Mahajan are deflected by meaningless electoral politics to the extent
that they are rendered ineffective. As Nader has claimed.

Moreover, I am disturbed that many of "us" seem far more intent upon
castigating and ridiculing Kerry than in being concerned about another
Bush term. I get the feeling they will feel (smug?) satisfaction if
Kerry loses, because obviously he isn't their man, and in any case
their mantra is "not a dimes worth of difference". This seems to be
fashionable by a segment of what can be called the totally
irresponsible, almost Machiavellian, left.

Sorry for my venting, but that's the way I feel at this juncture. I
cannot help but fear for the supreme court, nuclear warfare, women's
rights, civil rights, and other issues which will put us all in danger
for an undeterminable future with a new Bush term, and I am not looking
forward to that possibility in the hopes that the revolution will
finally arrive thereafter. The social advances In the U.S. in the 30's
occurred while a Democratic administration was in office, and the reign
of fascism occurred in Europe at that time came after the malaise and
disintegration of the 20's.

Apologies to Francis Fox Piven, whom I admire also, but what specific
actions does she recommend beyond what people are already doing to
"throw sand in the gears of the war machine"?

MKB