[Peace-discuss] Does the election matter?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Oct 11 12:55:32 CDT 2004

[1] That of course is what Chomsky has been saying all along (and I
agree). E.g., the remark quoted in last week's News notes:

        "...elections are a matter of secondary significance:
        what's far more important is to build a democratic culture,
        in which they will be meaningful.  But they are not of zero
        significance.  In a swing state, anything but a vote for Kerry
        is in effect a vote for Bush.  Those who want to help give the
        Bush crowd a mandate can do so if they like, but they should not
        delude themselves about what they are doing."

Chomsky implies, I think correctly, that altho' elections are not without
importance, the real task of a group like AWARE is to inform and agitate
to bring pressure to bear on whoever is in office. Domestic opposition to
the Vietnam war succeeded (to the extent that it did) not by winning
elections -- it didn't -- but by pressuring office-holders, whoever they
were.

[2] I meant to combat the stupid-American-electorate argument. E.g.,
Chomsky observes that "Years ago it was shown by leading political
scientists that non-voters -- about half the population -- have a
socioeconomic profile rather like those who vote for labor-based and
social democratic parties in Europe, but feel that they are not
represented in the US. In 2004, more appears to be at stake and interest
is greater than in 2000, but there is a continuation of the long process
of disengagement, mainly on the part of poor and working class Americans."

[3] My subject line may have been needlessly provocative. The implied
answer is "Yes, but you can see how the majority of Americans can conclude
that the outcome won't affect them much."

Chomsky points out, "On the eve of the year 2000 presidential elections, a
large majority of the population dismissed it as unrelated to their
interests and concerns, regarding it as a game played by wealthy
contributors and the Public Relations industry, which trains candidates to
focus on 'values' and 'personal qualities,' and to keep away from issues."

Regards, CGE