[Peace-discuss] Does the election matter?

Morton K.Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Mon Oct 11 16:19:38 CDT 2004

The whole world, it seems, wants to see the Bush junta repudiated. It
would be a sign that Americans are not so mean spirited, selfish,
complaisant, or ignorant as it seems, an admission that our past
policies have been wrong.

The whole world is implicated and hence would like to vote in our
election. Kerry would be a sure winner, largely because of our imperial
actions and designs. So, the importance of the election is vital to
them, and ought to be so for us.

There certainly are large  segments of our population, working class
and minority, that have been turned off to voting, feeling that it
doesn't concern them---the two parties representing the same crooked
self serving interests---but there is a lot of ignorance as to the
consequences of the vote. Our culture and the mass media–radio, the
press, and TV– are largely responsible. Sister Ammons yesterday at the
progressive get-together told us something about this and of her
determination to inform her people and then get out the vote. She
clearly thinks that the election is of great importance.

To deprecate the election is to turn off voters all the more. Do we
want to encourage this?

The election should also be important to AWARE. Hence we should
distribute those leaflets Randall is supplying! Despite all of Kerry's
weaknesses and crass--I would say stupid--stances, and the stark
deficiencies of our current two-party system, there is still a
tremendous amount riding on this election. Chomsky, in a rather
backhanded way, admits this. One need only seriously think about the
court system and the civil rights decisions it will impose for the next
30 or so years. There are other issues as well.

We can be anti-war and anti-Bush, and acquiesce to Kerry strategically
during this time, still keeping our eyes focussed on the ultimate
objectives that Carl advocates.

MKB