[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] AWARE Minutes-10-10-04

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Oct 11 21:38:13 CDT 2004

I left the meeting early Sunday (I'm doing a walk-on in the current
Station Theatre play, Aristocrats -- which I can recommend in good
conscience, as my contribution is slight), so I wasn't there when this
matter was discussed. I should have spoken against it for two reasons, one
substantive and one tactical. "Emergency contraception" may be necessary
for victims of rape, but it's understood by some as an abortifacient; its
general promotion does seem to suggest a casualness towards human life
that we decry in other US government policies. Tactically, it's the sort
of issue that Tom Frank describes in What's the Matter with Kansas? as
derailing progressive politics.  An anti-war group that wants to talk to
people other than self-described liberals should stay away from it.  --CGE