[Peace-discuss] AWARE Minutes-10-10-04

David Green davegreen48 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 11 18:45:54 CDT 2004

AWARE Minutes for 10/10/04

Facilitator: Durl Kruse
Minutes: David Green
Time: Mort

1.	Introductions.

2.	News of the Week: Read this week’s news notes by
Carl Estabrook to find out who is telling the truth,
and why they are telling it. Mystery of the week: Does
George Bush have a feckless dry cleaner, or was he
wired for the first debate?

3.	Finances (Linda Evans): $2726.10 (feel better Rob)

4.	Champaign-Urbana Citizens for Peace and Justice
(Danielle S.): On Thursday 10-14 at 6, there will be a
sign-making event at the IMC for the Unity March of
Oct. 23rd.

Also, CUCPC will hold a panel on racial disparities in
the war on drugs, Oct. 21st, Thursday, 8 p.m.,192
Lincoln Hall. Clifford Thornton from Shades of Gray
will speak, along with local activists.

5.	Postcards for Peace: no news—Sandra Ahten will be
hosting a workshop next Saturday, October 16th, at her
studio.

6.	Veterans Day (Carol Inskeep): Saturday 11-13, from
1 to 4 at McKinley Foundation, there will be a
presentation with the theme of veterans against war.
There will be a tape from veteran and critic Stan
Goff, local vets, and perhaps a slide show from Iraq.

7.	Farmers Market: Over $200 collected again this week
for signs, stickers, buttons, T-shirts. We will check
on moving inside in December.

8.	UPTV (Randall Cotton): Big meeting on future of
Democracy Now on Monday (today) at 3—not open to the
public, but Randall will report results.

9.	Military recruitment: Carol Inskeep will check out
the David Rovics anti-recruitment high school tour.
Nick Dahlheim is waiting for a response from Francis
Boyle, and it was suggested that he also try
contacting another law professor, Thomas Ginsburg. We
will look for sympathetic teachers (Sue Keller was
mentioned).

10.	New general e-mail for AWARE: aware at anti-war.net
will go to Ricky Baldwin and Mort.

11.	Local films: OutFoxed is playing at the Savoy. We
are looking for another film to promote at the Art
Theatre: Susan will check this out

12.	New Ideas: We have thousands of fliers from United
for Peace and Justice, courtesy of Randall. We will
try to distribute as many as possible—on the quad, at
local businesses, etc. Ricky will be trying to
coordinate lunchtime distributions this week.

Anti-at-large canvassing will be done every weekend,
coordinated by Ben Grosser. Jan Durl Kruse has info on
this.
More radio commentaries: Carl’s will be coming up on
WILL, and he also suggested that we be looking for
other opportunities, especially on WDWS. We can
continue to submit to WILL as individuals, as well.
What to do about WICD "the point."

We agreed to co-sponsor a rally for emergency
contraception access, Oct. 28, 5:30-6:30, SE corner of
Neil & Green (mini-park 2).

13.	Past week’s events:  Carol spoke at the Unitarian
Church in Urbana on Sunday.
Prior to the meeting, there was a meeting for CU
Progressives at the Crystal Lake Park boathouse. We
discussed the upcoming Unity March, the start-up of
WRFU radio station, and agreed to begin a list serve,
phone tree, and electronic calendar. Contact Al Kagan
for further information.

Norman Finkelstein (the Holocaust Industry)
interviewed on Focus 580 (now online).
There is also an ongoing controversy in Daily Illini
regarding propaganda by pro-Israel columnists.

14.	Upcoming events:

Dave Lippman concert, benefit for WRFU, Tuesday 10-12,
Channing Murray, 8 p.m.
Candidates Forum, including appearance by John Piland,
Wednesday, 10-13, Levis 407 (before presidential
debate)
Meredith Kruse, he did a great presentation earlier in
the day at Channing-Murray, will be at the Friday
Forum at the Y at noon, 10-15. This will be broadcast
on WEFT next Monday at 6.
Tariq Ali, the incisive Pakistani novelist and
political critic, will be in residence starting Sunday
(10-17) at Allen Hall for 4 days. He will speak at
Levis at 4 on Thursday 10-21 regarding the Iraq
invasion.
Unity March, Saturday, 10-23, 9 a.m.