[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] AWARE Minutes-10-10-04

Brooke Anderson brooke at shout.net
Tue Oct 12 15:31:38 CDT 2004

Dear Carl, Mort, and AWARE friends,

First, as an organizer for CCHCC's Campaign for Access to Emergency
Contraception, I want to thank you all for co-sponsoring our upcoming
rally in support of greater access to emergency contraception (or EC,
for short). We really appreciate your help and support and I was
dismayed on the list to see suggestions to withdraw this support.

Second, I wanted to respond to your messages, Carl and Mort, and
provide people with some more accurate information about what EC is,
and (perhaps more importantly) what it is NOT.

Emergency contraception (or EC) is a special dose of ordinary birth
control pills that can prevent unintended pregnancy if taken within
up to five days of unprotected intercourse, contraceptive failure,
sexual assault, or incest. EC is definitely NOT an abortafacient, and
is not at all the same thing as RU-486 (or what is sometimes called
"the abortion pill"). EC works by: (1) preventing ovulation, (2)
preventing fertilization, and/or (3) preventing implantation of a
fertilized egg into the uterus -- all of which occur prior to the
medical definition of pregnancy, which is the implantation of a
fertilized egg into the uterus. Therefore, EC can only prevent
pregnancy, and simply CANNOT terminate an existing pregnancy. If a
woman is already pregnant, EC will have no effect and will do no harm
to a developing fetus. If you believe EC is an abortafacient, then
you must, by definition, also believe that regular birth control
pills and devices are abortafacients -- as they work by the exact
same mechanisms (in fact, EC is really just a larger dose of regular
birth control pills, but which can be taken after, not just before,
intercourse).

If you believe that life begins with the mere presence of sperm
inside a woman (as opposed to a fertilized egg implanted into a
woman's uterus), then that is your individual religious belief and
your choice not to use EC. However, I would urge you not to force
your religious beliefs on others and oppose women's access to EC. In
fact, when half of all pregnancies in the U.S. are unintended, and
half of those end in abortion, greater access to EC could greatly
reduce the need for an incidence of abortion in this country. So if
you oppose abortion, you should really support greater access to
regular and emergency forms of contraception.

On a more personal note, in a world run by men that devalues women
and children's lives, I find it troubling to see men in the anti-war
movement dismiss women's issues as somehow irrelevant - or even an
obstacle - to our larger movement for social justice. By progressive
men like y'all aligning on reproductive justice issues with men in
power like Bush who are hell bent on limiting women's access to
family planning, contraception, sex education, abortion, and
pre-natal care, and yet not providing any health care, education,
housing, food, etc. for new mothers and their little ones, etc. -- by
aligning with Bush on this, y'all are just sending a message to those
of us women in the anti-war movement who've also fought like hell to
end this war, that we're not welcome, our lives and concerns aren't
of importance to you, and that the new social order we're fighting
for won't value us any more than we're valued today by the Bush
administration.

If we're talking about what will make the anti-war movement welcoming
and applicable to diverse communities, I find astounding the
suggestion that supporting women's right makes our movement less
friendly to people who are not "self-described liberals."  Many of
the women organizing for EC  in our community and beyond are poor and
working class women, high school women, and other women traditionally
excluded from the political system, as well as from anti-war and
other progressive movements. I'd hate to have to tell such women
we're working with, some of whom have had to get EC after having been
assaulted by friends or family members and some of whom have worked
hard in the anti-war movement, that they have a "casualness towards
human life" or that their needs are thought by some in AWARE to be an
impediment to building an anti-war movement. That would be
unfortunate.

I'd be interested to hear what the * WOMEN *  in AWARE think about EC
and the relationship of women's movements for reproductive rights and
economic justice to the movement to end the war.

Thanks,
Brooke.

At 9:38 PM -0500 10/11/04, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
>I left the meeting early Sunday (I'm doing a walk-on in the current
>Station Theatre play, Aristocrats -- which I can recommend in good
>conscience, as my contribution is slight), so I wasn't there when this
>matter was discussed. I should have spoken against it for two reasons, one
>substantive and one tactical. "Emergency contraception" may be necessary
>for victims of rape, but it's understood by some as an abortifacient; its
>general promotion does seem to suggest a casualness towards human life
>that we decry in other US government policies. Tactically, it's the sort
>of issue that Tom Frank describes in What's the Matter with Kansas? as
>derailing progressive politics.  An anti-war group that wants to talk to
>people other than self-described liberals should stay away from it.  --CGE
>

>On Mon, 11 Oct 2004, David Green wrote:
>
>>  ...  We agreed to co-sponsor a rally for emergency contraception
>>  access, Oct. 28, 5:30-6:30, SE corner of Neil & Green (mini-park 2)...

Brooke Anderson, Community Organizer
Champaign County Health Care Consumers
44 E. Main St., Suite 208
Champaign, IL 61820