[Peace-discuss] Media Minutes

jandurl jandurl at insightbb.com
Wed Oct 13 14:55:41 CDT 2004

A.W.A.R.E. and Media activists:
Starting this Sunday October 17, the WILL radio program Media Matters will feature a new segment that will be aired in the 5 minutes right ahead of Dr. Robert McChesney's weekly program.  This new segment is called Media Minutes.  The Sunday October 17,  1:00 PM WILL inaugural feature offers information regarding a national issue of interest  but will include a local perspective.  This very first segment is in regard to Sinclair Broadcasting out of Baltimore, Maryland, Mark Hyman and The Point, and the local station WICD Channel 15 being required by Sinclair to carry this ultra conservative commentary.  WICD carries The Point without offering other perspectives or giving the opposing view the opportunity to respond or participate.  In response to this policy, local citizens have been signing petitions, calling WICD, writing letter to the newspaper and many plan to boycott WICD and its local sponsors.

Today I did a brief interview with John Anderson of Media Minutes.  He along with Kim Kranich are both involved with this new segment on WILL.  I spoke as an individual concerned citizen, but I did mention my membership in AWARE.  I count this as another small victory for AWARE.  Once again AWARE's concerns for a more democratic media are being given airtime.  Dr. McChesney's program is a valuable asset to WILL and our community.  With the addition of Media Minutes  we will be offered the  opportunities for integrity in radio journalism to be expanded.  I hope you will listen this Sunday and if you want to do more go to www.freepress.net to add your voice to the outcry to the FCC regarding Sinclair Group, Mark Hyman (The Point)and Channel 15 WICD.
This Sunday's program of Media Minutes will be archived at www.freepress.net/mediaminutes
Jan Kruse