[Peace-discuss] Mull this over…

Morton K.Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Wed Oct 13 11:37:31 CDT 2004

An interesting  perspective, even if restricted in its outlook. It is
from an article by Theodore Roszak,  on the CommonDreams website:

"Suppose, then, George W. Bush dropped all pretenses and simply
declared, "OK, you wanna know my domestic agenda? Here it is. Dick
Cheney, Tom DeLay and I aren't just gonna defeat the liberals, we're
gonna obliterate them, along with every progressive reform since the
days of Teddy Roosevelt, every New Deal program, every Great Society
entitlement. Why else do you think we're running these sky-high
deficits? We're handing as much dough as we can to the people who know
how to run this country -- namely the super-rich. Sure, that's gonna
cost the rest of you jobs and social services, but isn't it worth it to
give the poor, the nonwhite, the welfare queens, the gays and the
feminazis a swift kick in the teeth?

  "What's my foreign policy? Listen up. We're gonna yank that oil out
from under those dysfunctional Arabs because we need it to preserve our
gas- guzzling way of life, and I'm not asking anybody for a permission
slip to do that. We're God's chosen people and we intend to make the
most of it. And if anybody gets in our way, we've got what it takes to
clobber them."

  If Bush took that line, I wonder if it would it cost him a single vote
he doesn't already have. And how many swing voters might be won over by
such decisive, non-flip-flopping leadership? As for the single-minded
evangelicals who have become the key to any winning political strategy,
the Republicans have them so locked in that even if Bush were
discovered having lunch with the devil, they would still vote for him
-- as long as he treated them to an occasional kick at the gays and the
feminists."