[Peace-discuss] dear brooke, AWARE, et al

Jen Tayabji tayabji at shout.net
Thu Oct 14 00:27:46 CDT 2004

Dear Robert,

Again I do not normally reply to emails on this list because I don¹t attend
AWARE meetings. But I cannot remain silent while you throw out this
slanderous garbage.

I think it¹s rather sad that you¹ve taken a good-spirited discussion about
important issues and turned it into your hypocritical rant and personal
attacks on individuals and organizations in this town.

It¹s important that community organizations debate (and even disagree on)
issues so that we know what we stand for and why. But at least we should be
able to discuss these issues in a safe and respected arena.

Please grow up and stop using public venues to spew out your slanderous
attacks.

Jen Tayabji
Executive Director, Illinois Disciples Foundation

On 10/14/04 12:00 AM, "Robert Dunn" <prorobert8 at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  I am opposed to the war still and am fighting from the right against the
> neoconservative movement. My defection has to do with what i see as the
> rigidity of the left and the potential self-destruction that it could lead to.
> I entered the left when I joined the Progressive Resource/Action
> Cooperative(PRC). At that time I was a young 16 year old who was looking for a
> family that I was lacking in my life. I took the left-wing cause as a
> substitute family which led to disastrous emotional consequences for me. For a
> few years, I followed "the party line" without question even though it went
> against my moral beliefs. But I met people like Carl and others who did not
> accept the PC way and developed his own opinions based on his moral principles
> and sound reasoning. That has been lacking in quite a few left groups. These
> organizations such as the PRC run on emotion and propaganda, not facts and
> principles.
> Brooke, Can you answer a question for me? You talk about broadening the
> anti-war movement? What about anti-war folks from the right? Are they allies
> or the enemy? What do you feel about the DNC banning pro-life delegates from
> the Democratic Convention. They were anti-war and progressive on other issues
> but they were pro-life so they were the enemy, correct? Meanwhile the
> conservative movement has gotten broader and broader. Now, evangelical
> Christians, tax reformist, neoConservative Jews and other warhawks have formed
> a broad coalition that includes pro-choice Republicans. Why is that the left
> has to be more rigid than the right is now. Dont believe me, then which party
> is controlled by identity politicians and poverty pimps such as yourself, the
> Democratic and Green parties. If you alienate anti-war conservatives, then you
> are losing a huge potential ally. I have tried when I was active in AWARE to
> get the evangelical churches who had a significant number of anti-war folks
> involved. However they are also pro-life and some may have religious
> objections to homosexuality but have the attitude of "love the sinner, hate
> the sin." Some even came to "the PRCs' large anti-war emergency response
> rally. But, i guess they are just a bunch of dumbass fascists hicks because
> they are pro-life? Correct?
> Also, you want people of faith to shut up and keep their moral convictions to
> themselves. Thats fine with me if you and your atheist buddies at IDF shut
> your trap up and keep your secular humanism to yourself. Deal?
> By the way Carl, my criticism of Thomas Frank is that he tends to overlook
> that some on the left, do by their demeanor and attitude sound pompous and
> elitists. If he did cover that, I stand corrected then and could you cite the
> page that its on?
> my anger in this message is addressed at the arrogance that Brooke has shown,
> proving my point that the identity politics movement is not about liberation
> [...]

Jen Tayabji
Director, Illinois Disciples Foundation
610 E. Springfield Ave., Champaign, IL  61820
(217) 352-8721 * cell (217) 840-8248
http://www.prairienet.org/idf

Social Justice YES! President Bush NO!
VOTE BUSH OUT OF THE WHITE HOUSE!

"And they can call me crazy if I fail / All the chance that I need / Is
one-in-a-million / And they can call me brilliant / If I succeed / Gravity
is nothing to me / Moving at the speed of sound / I'm just gonna get my feet
wet / Until I drown...

Cuz I don't care if they eat me alive / I've got better things to do than
survive / I've got a memory of your warm skin in my hand / And I've got a
vision of blue sky and dry land"

--Ani Difranco