[Peace-discuss] dear brooke, AWARE, et al

Wendy Edwards wedwards at uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 14 00:54:48 CDT 2004

OK, I'll bite, even though I don't usually post to this
list.  It sounds a little like you were looking for
some kind of utopian group where you could always feel
comfortable with everyone.  As I've gotten older, I've
discovered that this is unrealistic.  If you can find
a group of people that generally does good work, and
where you like most of the people, that's a wonderful
thing.  Have I ever been turned off by other left-wing
people?  Sure.  At the St. Louis demonstration last week,
I thought that at least two of the people there were
embarrassing.  But ... I also was also impressed by
many of the committed activists that I met there, and
there were many valid messages.  I've liked the AWARE
people I've met in C-U, though I'm sure that I wouldn't
agree with everyone in the group on every issue.  In
fact, I doubt that there's always perfect consensus
within AWARE.  What's worked for me is choosing specific
causes to support and deliberately leaving others
alone.

Wendy