[Peace-discuss] Emergency contraception

Joan Nelshoppen jnelshoppen at insightbb.com
Fri Oct 15 01:17:38 CDT 2004

I am writing this list because I want to reaffirm for Carl and others that
not everyone who is aligned with the left believes in abortion.  I have
great moral misgivings about abortion.

I don't attend the meetings (lack of time - I do try to make it to some of
the events) so I would not expect to have a say in the question of if AWARE
should continue to co-sponsor the EC rally.

That said, I would hope that AWARE would keep the co-sponsorship since it
really does seem that EC is not abortion.  It acts by preventing
implantation.  If what we're being told is correct, an established pregnancy
is unharmed by the EC ( I hope that is the case).   From what I can gather,
EC has the potential to reduce the number of abortions.

This discussion was interesting to me because another group I belong to was
also asked if we would co-sponsor the rally and we had a similar flurry of
emails (although thankfully no personal attacks).   Both the worry that it
was abortion and the potential tactical disadvantages of aligning ourselves
with something that appeared to be abortion were brought up.  I was the
person who brought them up, much like Carl in this group.  The dialogue was
educational and we ended up co-sponsoring the rally.

I hope you'll continue to co-sponsor the rally because there is clearly a
need to get information out there.  When I first heard about EC,  I, like
many in the general public, mistakenly thought EC was abortion and I had big
problems with that.   A little education can go a long way.

What hasn't changed is that I still do not believe in abortion.   In my
heart of hearts I know it is wrong.
Joan