[Peace-discuss] Emergency contraception

Wendy Edwards wedwards at uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 15 10:44:55 CDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 10:04:40AM -0700, carol inskeep wrote:
> Just curious:  Are there any other folks besides Carl who feel strongly we should rescind our co-sponsorship for the Emergency Contraception Rally?
>
> cpi

I was curious what the stated "mission" of AWARE was, since IIRC,
it stands for "Anti-War, Anti-Racism Effort."  So I pulled up
www.anti-war.net and looked for a mission statement and couldn't
find anything.  In one paragraph, I saw something about, "the
anti-war movement and other progressive causes."  This seemed
extremely vague.

If we embrace a patchwork of causes, I'm concerned that the
public might be quite confused about what AWARE was.  For example,
most of us probably would not expect to see Planned Parenthood
organizing anti-war demonstrations.  Likewise, it seems a little
odd to see an anti-war group officially sponsoring an EC rally.

Wendy