[Peace-discuss] Emergency Contraception

Paul M. King pmking at uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 15 10:14:00 CDT 2004

With all due respect, Carl, I disagree. Forming tactical
alliances based on public perceptions seems ethically bankrupt
to me. The danger of being misunderstood should be welcome. It
is an opportunity to educate, shake things up and possibly
reconfigure an entire network of strategic partnerships. This
is a rather bold attitude, but I would not expect a radical,
anarchist anti-war group to try and play it safe by
maneuvering and dodging issues. The truth is often not
convenient. Even when it is downright ugly, I feel a personal
responsibility to profess it. I suspect most people affiliated
with AWARE feel the same.

Your discussion about the danger of mistakenly generalizing a
code of behavior from an unusual situation is a pursuasive and
sound line of reasoning, but I do not follow the connection
with EC. You've indicated that it's a weak connection ("EC
illustrates the maxim in less extreme form"), and this is not
trivial. It is weak because it does not exist when held up to
reason. It only exists in the mind of an uninformed and
emotionally reactionary person. EC is not abortion; life has
not yet started. Brooke's email was very informative about this.

If you are truly interested in neutralizing the abortion
debate and releasing politics from its stranglehold, then the
EC issue seems a perfect stake to drive through its damn
heart. Here we have something being made available that will
actually reduce the number of abortions. Suddenly, the left
doesn't look so hypocritical anymore. Our value of life can be
practically implemented with this new technology.

As I stated before, the power of the current administration
derives from their ability to pull together an amazing variety
of supporters through the practice of identity politics. This
is just half of it, though. They are also mindful masters of
the ancient and tested imperial strategy of "divide and
conquer" (Karl Rove's gift is in this area). Cultural issues
such as race and abortion serve not only as effective uniters,
but destructive dividers. We have to look at unity
wholistically and ackowledge the destructive aspect of it in
order to discern who new allies for the left might be if we
are capable of moving beyond abortion and other cultural
issues. Who would we want to bring in under our umbrella? I
think we should be generous in our willingness to build
alliances and form friendships, or we will forever be on the
fringes of public dialogue.

This has been a great dialogue. I appreciate the opportunity
to discuss these ideas with this list and welcome other
input. Consider it a meditation rather than an argument. I've
been thinking a long time about some of these things.

..:: paul