[Peace-discuss] Sinclair/WICD picket Oct. 23rd

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 17 21:16:04 CDT 2004

Just spoke with Jean (sp?) Stoia, one of the organizers of the WICD picket.

To clarify, they're stance is definitely *not* hard-line insistence that
"Stolen Honor" be pulled. Rather, they would be just as happy with an
accompanying forum for an opposing view.

As far as Jean's sign-up sheet goes (which I passed around at the AWARE
meeting at Jan's suggestion), the reason they had this sign-up sheet is that
they were a bit apprehensive about having a small, ineffective showing, so
they were hoping the sign-up sheet would give them confidence that they'd
have a critical mass. I let her know that, in my opinion, there would be
plenty of interest and participation in such a picket on the 23rd as long as
she just spread the word as widely as she could.

There were 5 folks (including myself) that explicitly signed the sheet at
the AWARE meeting, committing to participate in the picket on Saturday. Now
that the above is clarified, I imagine more folks may jump in.

Again, this picket will take place just after the Unity March on the 23rd.
Folks will meet up at the fountain at West Side Park (where the Unity March
winds up). From there, plans are that folks will travel (presumably on their
own) to Springfield and Country Fair, then get situated, then march to WICD,
possibly presenting a petition to WICD.

There are plans forming for a petition-signing/sign-making party.

That's all the info I have now. Jean says she'll send along more info and
I'll forward that to this list when I get it.