[Peace-discuss] AWARE cosponsor IDF Fall Dinner?

Jen Tayabji tayabji at shout.net
Sun Oct 17 21:34:04 CDT 2004

Hey--

I wanted to see if AWARE would like to co-sponsor this upcoming event at the
IDF.  Please read the following message for more details!

IDF Annual Fall Dinner
Saturday, November 6th
Wisegarver Lounge (IDF)
NW corner of Springfield and Wright, Champaign

"Veterans Fighting in the Workplace and in Iraq"
Featuring keynote speaker Bill Davis

Doors open at 5:30pm

Tickets are $8-15 on a sliding scale
Raffle tickets are $1 each or 6 for $5
Tickets available in advance and at the door
*All funds raised will go to support the work of the IDF and VVAW*

The Illinois Disciples Foundation has been involved in anti-war movements
ever since the Vietnam war.  We are continuing this work by voicing and
organizing our opposition to the current invasion and occupation of Iraq and
Afghanistan. Although we are hearing more and more everyday about the heavy
burden in human lives and international respect that this war is exacting
overseas,we still are hearing very little about the burdens this war is
having here in the U.S.

Bill Davis, president of Auto Mechanics union Local 701 and a national
coordinator of Vietnam Veterans Against the War (VVAW), will be speaking
about the effects of this war in the workplace, and burdens that are being
experienced by veterans both overseas and back here on the job.  In the
days following the election, Davis hopes to share some ideas for how to
move the issue of ending the war forward, regardless of who is sitting in
the White House come next January.

But in order to make this event a success we need your help and support! By
co-sponsoring this event we would include your organization's name in our
publicity for the event and ask that you help publicize the event (by
forwarding the email announcement etc.).  Such support is invaluable to
us.  Although monetary support is not required for co-sponsorship it is
always appreciated.  But more important to us is that you can lend your
name in support of our event and that you encourage your membership to
attend this event.

If your organization would like to co-sponsor, please reply to me at
tayabji at shout.net or call the IDF office at 352-8721.  Please reply to
this request by next Tuesday, October 26th in order to make the deadline
for being placed on our dinner publicity.  Feel free to contact us with
any questions you may have.

Thank you for your time and good luck in your organizing efforts!

In solidarity,
Jen Tayabji
Executive Director, Illinois Disciples Foundation
Jen Tayabji
Director, Illinois Disciples Foundation
610 E. Springfield Ave., Champaign, IL  61820
(217) 352-8721 * cell (217) 840-8248
http://www.prairienet.org/idf

Social Justice YES! President Bush NO!
VOTE BUSH OUT OF THE WHITE HOUSE!

"And they can call me crazy if I fail / All the chance that I need / Is
one-in-a-million / And they can call me brilliant / If I succeed / Gravity
is nothing to me / Moving at the speed of sound / I'm just gonna get my feet
wet / Until I drown...

Cuz I don't care if they eat me alive / I've got better things to do than
survive / I've got a memory of your warm skin in my hand / And I've got a
vision of blue sky and dry land"

--Ani Difranco