[Peace-discuss] Vote NO on election comission

John Paul Schmit johnpauls at operamail.com
Fri Oct 22 16:34:36 CDT 2004

Hello,
  I agree with everything Jen and Al wrote here. A couple of other issues
as well:

1) An election comission will require the county to hire an elections
commissioner and staff. The county already has a budget deficit. What is
going to get cut to pay for this?

2) Many people seem to support this as an anti-Mark Shelden thing. Mark
Shelden will be on the election commission (as specified by state law).

3) If you think the repbulicans are doing dirty tricks would you really
want the election comission to be in republican hands? Its not like that
is impossible.

4) The only county that has an election comission in DuPage County.
Despite that there are 40% Democrats in that county, Repbulicans hold
every county board seat and elected county office. This is no going to
make election decisions non-partisan or bi-partisan. It will make them
MORE partisan.

5) It is also possilbe to stack the election comission with members of all
one party if that party holds both the county clerk's office and the
majority of county board seats. While the law says you need at least one
member of each of the two parties which gained the most votes in the last
gubinatorial election (and only those 2 parties, what happened at the
county level does not matter). However, to be a member of a party in
Illinois, all you have to do is vote in that party's primary. So, if one
party was doing well in the county, it could have one of its members vote
in the other party's primary, and then that person could be the rep for
the other party. That is, the Repbulicans could have one member vote in
the Democratic primary. If Republicans  gained a majority of the seats on
the county board, then the person who voted in the democratic primary
could be appointed the democratic rep, even if they donated and worked for
republicans. This may seem far-fetched and convoluted, but if the whole
rationale for the election board is to prevent dirty tricks, then this is
what you have to think about.

JP