[Peace-discuss] Re: [UCprogressives-discuss] RE: [Prairiegreens] Fw: Election Commission

Morton K.Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Sat Oct 23 22:57:48 CDT 2004

I don't understand this argument regarding the proposed electoral
commission by Jennifer Walling:

> Unelected partisan operatives would completely control who was able
> to vote, which candidates obtained ballot access, and how the votes
> were
> counted.

Does it mean that the constitution and federal laws could be abridged
at the discretion of the commission?

I have no expertise about the operation of electoral commissions, but
it is my impression that our current elections officer, Mark Shelden,
has attempted in the past to do just what the quotation above warns
against, i.e., "completely control who was able to vote, which
candidates obtained ballot access, and how the votes were counted".  He
has, from my observations, not served minorities and students well, as
remarked by Esther Patt and Tony Fabri.

I find the arguments of John Schmitt contorted. I agree with what Tony
Fabri has written.

That Shelden  has been elected in this over-all conservative community
suggests to me that he means to serve his Republican  constituency more
faithfully than to serve the broad community.  I'm far from persuaded
that a commission appointed by the county would do worse, although I
admit that there may be better ways to form a commission then what is
currently proposed. I don't like the "winner take all" aspect that goes
with election of the current County Clerk. I'm surprised the Greens
don't recognize this defect.
So I'm inclined to vote for a commission, believing that even if there
are defects in the way it is set up, to retain the present system means
more of the same from Mr. Shelden, and that seems to me to be bad.

MKB