[UCprogressives-discuss] Re: [Peace-discuss] Fw: Election Commission

Tony Fabri tonyfabri at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 27 09:41:04 CDT 2004

In my relatively short time participating in local politics (12 years), I've
come to the opinion that splitting the progressive vote between two or more
parties will only improve the already strong odds of electing conservative
Republicans in Champaign County.  You may disagree.  Gina obviously
disagrees.  I don't think that disagreement warrants name-calling and
personal attacks.  Gina obviously disagrees with me there, too.

For the record, I did write a letter to Susan, Zach, and David Sacks.  It
was not "intimidating," as Gina suggests.  (I'm also not Chair of the County
Board, as Gina suggests.  I'm Chair of the Democratic Party.  Tricia Avery
is Chair of the County Board.)  I merely said that I was "disappointed" to
see that they're running, because I fear their candidacies will help
Republicans win back the County Board majority, and undo the progressive
gains made since 2000.  Anyone who remembers "Bud" Barker and the days of
GOP control know what a dramatic difference Democrats have made on the
County Board in a very short amount of time.  The Living Wage, sexual
orientation protections, environmental appointments, an end to Union-busting
at the County, and support of social services like the County nursing home
and public health all would have gone nowhere if Democrats hadn't won the
majority.  I am genuinely disappointed to see progressive, presumably
well-intentioned people helping Republicans to undermine these progressive
victories.

Regardless, Green Party candidates are on the ballot in Districts 7, 8, & 9.
  Their candidacies give real hope to local Republicans that they can defeat
incumbent Democrats Janet Anderson and Jenny Putman (two of the most
progressive and effective elected officials I've ever known), and win back
Republican control of the County Board.  Some will say that's a victory for
progressives, but I just don't see it.

What does any of this have to do with the Election Commission?  Well,
nothing, really.  I sent out a message asking progressives to support the
Election Commission, based on a long history of voter suppression and
partisan abuse in the Champaign County Clerk's office.  Gina took the
opportunity to call me a hypocrite, because I don't share her support of
third party politics.

The County Clerk's office has been used for partisan Republican advantage
for years.  Employees of the office report abuses ranging from withholding
voter registration forms from Democratic volunteers to putting together
Republican campaign mailings inside the taxpayer financed office.  We
recently caught Shelden red-handed working for the Republican Auditor
candidate out of the Clerk's office.  Regardless of how you feel about third
parties or Ralph Nader, I'd hope we could all agree these abuses are bad and
should be stopped.  If so, then I'd encourage everyone to vote "yes" on the
Election Commission.

Good luck to everyone working for progressive victories on Nov. 2nd (however
you personally define that)!

Tony Fabri