[Peace-discuss] need help with campus leafleting Monday/Tuesday

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 28 13:13:26 CDT 2004

Well, the big day is nearly upon us. AWARE has a few thousand of the United
for Peace and Justice get-out-the-vote leaflets. They are an excellent tool
to encourage and remind folks to vote. If you haven't seen this handbill
yet, see:

http://www.unitedforpeace.org/downloads/voter_handbill.pdf

Even though Illinois might be a safe state for Kerry, the local elections
like State's Attorney and the referendums like the Urbana at-large council
additions are absolutely not "safe".

Remember: Unlike with activists, for most people voting is a pretty low
priority. About half of folks don't even bother. Some folks, for instance,
are registered, and are open to voting, but may or may not vote on Tuesday
depending on whether they happen to remember or not sometime during their
busy workday or class schedule. I know because I've been there (years ago).
That's where we come in =8-) Getting these leaflets in the hands of anyone
that will take them on the day before and the day of the election *WILL MAKE
MORE PEOPLE VOTE*. In particular, since it's on campus, it will make more
well-educated, less-conservative people vote. And not just for President,
but in important local elections (and on important referendums) too.

It's a simple and pleasant way to get involved in positively contributing to
Tuesday's election results. Just offer each passer-by a handbill while
suggesting "Don't forget to vote tomorrow/today" - or whatever else you
wish. A few will ignore you, of course, but almost all folks will politely
accept or decline. Either way, at the very least, you nudge everyone you
contact (whether they take a leaflet or not) that much closer to voting in
this election (or a future election). And out of the thousands of folks
we'll greet, we could nudge hundreds into voting in *this* election.

I will be on campus at the Alma Mater statue (Green and Wright), rain or
shine, 10:30 to 1:30 Monday and Tuesday with the remaining handbills. You
can just stop by during those three hours to help out as long as you wish.

And if any of you took handbills, but still have them (or left a pile
somewhere that is still sitting there), please at least get them back to me
so we can use them up Monday and Tuesday.

Who's with me? Drop me a line or give me a call - 722-8470 (this is a cell
number I can be reached at while I'm on campus Monday or Tuesday as well).