[Peace-discuss] James Sobotka

Paul M. King pmking at uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 13 14:09:47 CDT 2004

[Below is a draft of a letter to the editor that I'm sending
to the Daily Illini and carbon copying to their publishing
company. If anyone sees any improvements - particularly with
the analogy - that can be made, please respond to me. I'll
send it out tomorrow morning. -- paul king]

Greetings,

I'm writing out of concern regarding the professional conduct
of one of your writers, James Sobotka, who regularly
contributes editorials to your publication. Although I do not
agree with his views, I appreciate the fact that your
newspaper allows him the freedom to express himself. I expect
that he appreciates this freedom as well.

That’s why I was shocked to find him publishing harassing
remarks about one of your readers, David Green, in a public
forum at http://vivalablog.blogspot.com/ . At one point in his
long diatribe, he gleefully tells David to “please fuck off”.

I am amazed that your publication allows this kind of abuse.
There must be some code of conduct that has been violated when
a writer extends his or her professional forum to another
public forum and uses it to mount personal attacks on a
participant in the professional forum.

This is analogous to a disgruntled customer service
representative jotting down the address of a disagreeable
caller and then posting derogatory remarks about that person
across the street from them on poster boards.

This kind of conduct by your staff can only hurt your
organization. It certainly tarnishes your professional
reputation and can discourage other readers from expressing
their views in your newspaper. If James Sobotka appreciates
the freedom to express his views, then he must respect the
right of others to express theirs. That is why he must stop
publicly intimidating and harassing your readers on his blog
or expect his affiliation with your organization to be terminated.

Regards,
Paul King