[Peace-discuss] RE: Lesser evilism

Phil Stinard pstinard at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 16 20:29:38 CDT 2004

Jenifer,

If Gore and Kerry could prove that they were better than George W. Bush,
maybe people would vote for them on their own merits, and Ralph Nader's
candidacy would not be an issue.  If Kerry wants the support of Naderites,
he'd better start supporting their issues, don't you think?  Personally, I
think it would be wonderful if all of the Kerry voters supported Ralph
Nader, and if Ralph Nader beat Bush.

Every four years, people say that THIS election is the most critical one in
history, and they throw away their principles.  They say that the NEXT
election, things will be different, but of course, things remain the same.
They will continue to remain the same until people are willing to take the
risk of calling for a real change.

If you truly support progressive values, it doesn't make sense to insult
Nader supporters who share the same values, does it?  It's very easy to
torment one's friends.  It's much more difficult to convince your enemies,
and the only way that Kerry is going to win is if people who currently
support Bush change their minds.  There are a lot more Bush supporters who
could be convinced to vote for Kerry than there are Nader supporters.  I
think it would be more effective (and less destructive) to focus energy on
them.

I already said that I'm voting for John Kerry for personal reasons, and I
enumerated those.  It was a painful decision.  Maybe you didn't read what I
wrote in its entirety, or maybe you're just callous.  Comments like "We
wouldn't BE @ war if Naderites had voted for 'the lesser of two evils' in
2000.  Duh," are probably meant to reinforce my decision to vote for Kerry,
but it comes off as antagonistic.  I hope that this election doesn't cause
deep wounds in the progressive movement that can't be healed.

--Phil