[Peace-discuss] Barack Obama for U.S. Senator???

Morton K.Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Sun Sep 26 21:47:40 CDT 2004

Get this! On blog of David Peterson from ZNet.

Posted by David Peterson on 9/26

  A question for Illinois State Senator Barack Obama the Democratic
frontrunner (an absolute shoe-in, in fact) in the race to capture the
seat in the U.S. Senate currently occupied by the Republican Peter
Fitzgerald (the other held by the Democrat Richard Durbin): Under what
circumstances would, say, the Government of Iran ever be justified in
launching surgical strikes against U.S. territory?

Would it be on condition that the U.S. Government threatened to attack
Iranian territory?  Or would the U.S actually have to launch an attack
on Iranian territory first, before the Iranians were justified in
attacking the United States?  But what if the U.S. Government imposed
economic sanctions on Iran?  Or supported a foreign state that
threatened to attack Iranian territory, even supplying this foreign
state with the weapons it required to launch such an attack?  What if
the U.S. militarily invaded and occupied a sovereign country that
shared an international border with Iran?  Would this give the Iranians
the right under Chapter VII of the UN Charter to come to the aid of the
people resisting the American invaders, even by opening a new theater
in the war on American soil?  Or what if, somewhere near the Iranian
border, the U.S. maintained a terrorist organization the expressed goal
of which was to destabilize life within Iran and, ultimately, to bring
about a change of regime in Tehran?

  Would one of these circumstances justify an Iranian attack on U.S.
territory?  At least two of them combined?  Three?

  How about all of them taken together?

  These are not just academic questions, I’m afraid.  Were the State of
Illinois’ election for the U.S. Senate to be held this Sunday in late
September, so convincing is Barack Obama’s lead in the polls that
somewhere between six- and seven-in-ten registered Illinois Republicans
would vote for Obama over their own party’s candidate, the unspeakable
Alan Keyes.  (John Chase, “State GOP wrestling for identity.  Polls
show far right failing to connect,” Chicago Tribune, Sept. 26.)
  (Between ourselves: I remain utterly mystified as to why this State’s
Republican leadership bothered to invite this turkey, a resident of
Maryland, of all places, to come to Illinois and replace its original
candidate for the U.S. Senate, Jack Ryan.  The same report in the Trib
also tells us that the “survey showed that 94 percent of the voters who
identified themselves as Republican are white, and only 2 percent are
Hispanic, and another 2 percent are black.  The rest declined to
identify their race."---Alan Keyes?)

Nor do these questions for Obama come out of nowhere, either: Their
point of departure was a face-to-face meeting that the Chicago
Tribune‘s editorial board sponsored with Obama on this past Friday, the
24th.

  Here’s how the Trib set the scene (David Mendell, "Obama would
consider missile strikes on Iran" (Chicago Tribune  Sept. 25):

  Iran announced on Tuesday [Sept. 21] that it has begun converting tons
of uranium into gas, a crucial step in making fuel for a nuclear
reactor or a nuclear bomb. The International Atomic Energy Agency has
called for Iran to suspend all such activities.

  Obama said the United States must first address Iran’s attempt to gain
nuclear capabilities by going before the United Nations Security
Council and lobbying the international community to apply more pressure
on Iran to cease nuclear activities. That pressure should come in the
form of economic sanctions, he said.

  But if those measures fall short, the United States should not rule
out military strikes to destroy nuclear production sites in Iran, Obama
said.

  “The big question is going to be, if Iran is resistant to these
pressures, including economic sanctions, which I hope will be imposed
if they do not cooperate, at what point are we going to, if any, are we
going to take military action?”

  Given the continuing war in Iraq, the United States is not in a
position to invade Iran, but missile strikes might be a viable option,
he said. Obama conceded that such strikes might further strain
relations between the U.S. and the Arab world.

  “In light of the fact that we’re now in Iraq, with all the problems in
terms of perceptions about America that have been created, us launching
some missile strikes into Iran is not the optimal position for us to be
in,” he said.

  “On the other hand, having a radical Muslim theocracy in possession of
nuclear weapons is worse. So I guess my instinct would be to err on not
having those weapons in the possession of the ruling clerics of Iran.
... And I hope it doesn’t get to that point. But realistically, as I
watch how this thing has evolved, I’d be surprised if Iran blinked at
this point."

  Obama also expressed some thoughts on Pakistan.  “Obama said that if
President Pervez Musharraf were to lose power in a coup,” the Trib
reported, “the United States similarly might have to consider military
action in that country to destroy nuclear weapons it already
possesses.  Musharraf’s troops are battling hundreds of well-armed
foreign militants and Pakistani tribesmen in increasingly violent
confrontations.”

  And Obama had an intriguing (to say the least) take on the nature of
the wars the Americans have been fighting:

  Obama said that violent Islamic extremists are a vastly different
brand of foe than was the Soviet Union during the Cold War, and they
must be treated differently.

  “With the Soviet Union, you did get the sense that they were operating
on a model that we could comprehend in terms of, they don’t want to be
blown up, we don’t want to be blown up, so you do game theory and
calculate ways to contain,” Obama said. “I think there are certain
elements within the Islamic world right now that don’t make those same
calculations.

  “... I think there are elements within Pakistan right now--if
Musharraf is overthrown and they took over, I think we would have to
consider going in and taking those bombs out, because I don’t think we
can make the same assumptions about how they calculate risks."

  Now.  I can’t tell you exactly where in all of this Barack Obama’s own
voice fades out (except for the actual quotes, that is), and where the
Chicago Tribune‘s rendition of Obama’s voice fades in.  The Trib‘s
opening paragraph about Iran and the International Atomic Energy
Agency---that the IAEA “has called for Iran to suspend” its uranium
enrichment activities---is accurate on its face but worthless as
history.  It tells us nothing about which state drives the IAEA’s
agenda with respect to Iran.  Much less why.  Nor what the actual
findings of numerous IAEA investigations of Iranian facilities have
been.  Nor how other states, both regional and global (i.e., Israel and
the United States), conduct their affairs towards Iran.

  But working from the presumption that the Chicago Tribune faithfully
reported Barack Obama’s views on these issues, what we find in the next
U.S. Senator from the State of Illinois is a man who is very much a
creature of American Power; who regards America’s threat or use of
violence not to be inherently menacing or problematic, but rather
potentially good and just and necessary for the advancement of
God-only-knows what kind of world order; and for whom the rights of
other peoples and states are dissoluble according to the dictates of
American Power.  Indeed.  For whom other peoples and states are looked
down upon as evidence of their cultural or civilizational inferiority,
and obstacles to the kind of world the Americans want.  A world which,
judging by Obama’s session with the Trib, is governed not by the rule
of law but by the force of American arms.

  For creatures of American Power, the only question that ever arises
is, When is it okay for the Americans to do something violent and
murderous to others?  While other, perfectly reasonable
questions---such as, When is someone else justified in doing something
violent and murderous to the Americans?---never arise.  Remain
off-limits.  Are strictly unaskable.

  From my point of view, someone who takes the positions that Barack
Obama expressed to the Chicago Tribune during last Friday’s meeting
with its editorial board is unfit to serve in any high office of a
state as powerful, as dangerous, and as menacing to the rest of the
world as the United States is today.

  Come the first Tuesday in November, Obama will win one of Illinois’
two seats in the U.S. Senate by a landslide.

  God help the world.

"Barack Obama’s Speech to the Chicago Council on Foreign Relations,”
July 12, 2004

“Obama would consider missile strikes on Iran,” David Mendell, Chicago
Tribune, September 25
“State GOP wrestling for identity: Poll shows far right failing to
connect,” John Chase, Chicago Tribune, September 26

  “Future of Iran opposition group held in Iraq hangs in balance,”
Mohsen Asgara and Gareth Smyth, Financial Times, July 14, 2004
  “Dissident Iranian group given special status by U.S.,” Joanne
Laucius, Ottawa Citizen, July 27, 2004
  “Iranian Exiles, On U.S. Terror List, Now Seeking Refugee from Iraq,”
Farah Stockman, Boston Globe, July 28, 2004
  “Why the US granted ‘protected’ status to Iranian terrorists,” Scott
Peterson, Christian Science Monitor, July 29, 2004
  “U.S. decision to protect exiled Iranian terrorists fuels speculation
Pentagon is planning a new war,” Bruce Garvey, Ottawa Citizen, August
3, 2004
  “Board Rules 4 Iranians Not a Threat,” H.G. Reza, Los Angeles Times,
August 25, 2004

“Eying Iran Reactors, Israel Seeks U.S. Bunker Bombs,” Reuters,
September 21, 2004

  Implementation of the NPT Safeguards Agreement in the Islamic Republic
of Iran (GOV/2004/60), IAEA, September 1, 2004
Implementation of the NPT Safeguards Agreement in the Islamic Republic
of Iran (Resolution GOV/2004/79), IAEA Board of Governors, September
18, 2004

  The “FTO List” and Congress: Sanctioning Designated Foreign Terrorist
Organizations (RL32120), Audrey Kurth Cronin, Congressional Research
Service, October 21, 2003