[Peace-discuss] Liberals and Schiavo

Chas. 'Mark' Bee c-bee1 at itg.uiuc.edu
Fri Apr 1 14:42:33 CST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "C. G. Estabrook" <galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu>
To: "Chas. 'Mark' Bee" <c-bee1 at itg.uiuc.edu>
Cc: <peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net>
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2005 12:45 PM
Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] Liberals and Schiavo

> I'm a bit concerned that this arrives on April 1, but nevertheless here
> are some comments:
>
> [1] The government also prohibited anyone from bringing her food and
> water.  She wasn't dying until then.

  Would the government have done so without guidance found in her last wishes?  No.  The government enforced her wishes.
Basically, she 'pulled the trigger' herself.  Her husband enforced her will, and the government enforced his. - as
required by long standing precedent.

> [2] The government that M. L. King called the greatest purveyor of
> violence in the world regularly ends human lives with impunity.  I was
> specifically referring to abortion.

  If I apply the same test you're using, human life, then every hangnail I pull is an abortion.  Any hangnail probably
contains at least a hundred living cells, each with my unique blueprint, and each designed by the Creator with the
potential of developing into a lil' mini-me in the right environment.  The real question in both cases is personhood.
Until the fifth or sixth month, there's just nobody home.  Same for a flat EEG.  The porch light is out.

> [3] The undemocratic device that some liberals seem to be putting their
> hopes in, is the filibuster.

  Ah.  Guilty as charged.  A bullet can be stopped by a Bible or a hip flask.  It's not necessarily an elegant process
either way.  Do you believe that packing the courts with religiowacks based on rigid litmus tests is the will of the
people?  I would say that 'nonviolent, carefully designed, and already happening without incident for decades' is a
pretty good description of a safe way to prevent it.  That's why the filibuster specifically is under attack.  We know
it's a dishonorable attack by the fact that it wasn't brought by these same 'constitutional scholars' back when 3 times
as many of Clinton's judges were being held out.

  BTW - I'm pretty sure segregationists also used the wheel and the lever.

> [4] I don't think you're attending to what Jefferson meant by
> "aristocrats," if you can't find five (and you only need four more). --CGE

  Me?  I simply assume Jefferson meant what you say he said.  You'll go a lot further before you find liberals desiring
concentration of power at the top at the expense of the populace.  Mischaracterization of my position to match yours
won't help.  The override of an innocent person's wishes for their physical body, their very corpus, by state
intervention is exactly what you're advocating - and fits exactly what he describes.  (IIRC, you'll be hard pressed to
find a single instance in his career to make us think he'd stand for it.  I'm thinking that's about all there is to
that.)  -cmb

(p.s.  'Food' for thought - if it's OK for the government to jam food down someone's throat, why isn't it OK to jam a
light stick up their butt?

.
.
.