[Peace-discuss] Liberals and Schiavo

ouroboros rex c-bee1 at itg.uiuc.edu
Fri Apr 1 18:02:05 CST 2005

C. G. Estabrook wrote:

>I do realize that a good bit of your objections are in the spirit of the
>day,

  Only the p.s.

> but anyway--
>
>The only way we know of "her wishes" was by late and contested testimony
>from husband and friends about her casual remarks.

  Contested by liars, fanatics, murder abettors, and paid shills, in my
honest opinion.  I count their objections at a fig, to cop a phrase.

> As the
>disability-rights lawyer Harriet McBryde Johnson said (before the court
>decision was carried out),
>
>"--This is not a case about a patient's right to refuse treatment. I don't
>see eating and drinking as 'treatment,' but even if they are, everyone
>agrees that Ms. Schiavo is presently incapable of articulating a decision
>to refuse treatment. The question is who should make the decision for her,
>and whether that substitute decision-maker should be authorized to kill
>her by starvation and dehydration...

  Right.  This is basically bullshit, since she _was_ capable, and she
did so then.  It takes advantage of her current state of helplessness to
remove her volition, in a highly cruel and cynical manner which is
continued below.

>"--There is a genuine dispute as to what Ms. Schiavo believed and
>expressed about life with severe disability before she herself became
>incapacitated;

  This is basically a lie - see above.

> certainly, she never stated her preferences in an advance
>directive like a living will. If we assume that Ms. Schiavo is aware and
>conscious, it is possible that, like most people who live with severe
>disability for as long as she has, she has abandoned her preconceived
>fears of the life she is now living. We have no idea whether she wishes to
>be bound by things she might have said when she was living a very
>different life. If we assume she is unaware and unconscious, we can't
>justify her death as her preference. She has no preference."

  This is a false dichotomy, and void.  By dismissing her wishes because
we can't presently verify them (could there be a more pathetic
argument?  That's the point!), it can be used to put any one of us into
an endless living hell, whether we left written directives in the past
or not.  This is probably the scariest thing yet about this case.  I
don't know who this lady is, but she's apparently a real piece of work.

>I see no reason to believe your arbitrary judgment that personhood begins
>in the fifth or sixth month.

  I've seen tons.  I doubt there'll be a change of heart on either side
here.

>  There was dispute about Schiavo's brain
>activity, but there was no MRI, no PET scan, and two of the five
>neurologists who testified at the trial did not agree with the diagnosis
>of PVS.

  Where did they come from?  They were hired by the parents.  Regarding
the tests - how many doctors, total, have weighed in on this case?  How
many other tests?

>The filibuster is an undemocratic maneuver, rightly deplored when it was
>used to prevent civil rights legislation.  I think it should be used to
>stop unsuitable nominees, but it's a counsel of despair, a testimony of
>the inability of liberals to make their case at large (or rather to have
>one sufficiently different from that of their opponents to be worth
>making).

  When you are up against a large conspiracy that enforces rigid
adherence in your opponents through threats, regardless of their
individual beliefs, this is a null argument.

>"Concentration of power at the top at the expense of the populace" is
>exactly what some self-styled liberals are calling for these days, because
>they see that populace as (you might say)  "...right wing nutters ... an
>army of useful idiots ... [who will] put all of us under religious control
>for decades ... [by an] organized main-force denial of rights ... [from]
>nationally organized religiowack constituents," etc.

  Only about 10% of them, I'd say.  I've shown you abundant proof that
they intend to use the centralized power of the federal government to
remove our control over our individual fates.  What's so difficult?  The
end result will be that when an individual's directive is followed, the
cops will show up.  Why don't you get which side is the government and
which the individual?  I think you do get it.

>And your "joke" reminds us that the same corporate state (with a
>"concentration of power at the top at the expense of the populace") that
>enforced Schaivo's death by dehydration, tortures people in prisons around
>the world. --CGE

  True dat.  The difference we're discussing is in their desires.  -cmb