[Peace-discuss] Delay and Buchanan

Susan Davis sgdavis at uiuc.edu
Sat Apr 2 13:30:47 CST 2005

Carl,

you asked:

>But you don't mean you'd no longer oppose the war if DeLay did.  Buchanan
>does oppose the war, and you haven't stopped doing so because of that.

briefly, no I would not stop opposing the war if Delay did.  My point is I
wouldn't give a right-wing militarist/corporatist any support or praise or
political capital for being against the war.  I'd assume he was harnessing
in antiwar position to his own agenda, and look elsewhere for allies.

>(And to call him a fascist is hyperbole.)

not really.  I think Buchanan believes in a white, Christian, male-headed
nuclear-family based homeland America for white Christian people.  He's
against the war because it distracts from that. he's not said a word Pro
labor, pro civil rights, pro women's rights. he's quiet about corporate
power and not critical of the military's effect on our culture and society
(not to mention our economy) per se.  I do recall him calling for
concentration camps for gay men back in the eighties.  It's true
he's  anti-interventionist -- but so far no one is arguing that we need
annex more of Mexico. what's odd about Buchanan is how reasonable he's
begun to seem by comparison with some of the other nut cases.

on your last question below, I don't want go on at length. I simply meant
that it's very important to think about who we think are on  "our" sides.
delay got where he is by delivering black and Chicano disenfranchisement in
Texas to the national Republican Party. since you are sincerely
antiabortion as a Christian believer, I know you think very carefully about
whether someone like Delay is one of your own, and whether his manipulative
capers serve your ideals.  I said that in a backhanded unclear way before
-- sorry for any confusion.   SD