[Peace-discuss] End of life decisions

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 4 14:40:54 CDT 2005

There are of course difficult questions surrounding end-of-life decisions.
But the Schiavo case was not an end-of-life decision.  She wasn't dying.
But then the court ordered that she should be denied food and water, and,
not surprisingly, she died.

Sticking to the topic would mean putting aside questions about end-of-life
decisions, which have nothing to do with the discussion of politics, law
and the Schiavo case (except insofar as it was misrepresented as such).

But to answer your question on next-of-kin's wishes, I'd distinguish
between do-not-resuscitate orders and assisted suicide.  They seem to me
quite different.

An American soldier has just been freed by a court-martial after murdering
an Iraqi civilian, because he called it a "mercy killing." --CGE