[Peace-discuss] Schiavo, democrats and aristocrats

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 4 15:35:12 CDT 2005

But Carl-

I’m afraid it seems we are interpreting “intervention”
rather conveniently.  Why is it “intervention” when
the court agrees with Terri Schiavo’s partner that his
take on her wishes should be followed, and not when
her parents -- who testified in court that they would
probably not consider her wish to die even if she had
told them -- seek to exert their personal beliefs
through the courts?

Anything that occurred would have been “intervention”.
 Someone, a person who could communicate, had to make
a decision one way or the other, as your lawyer notes,
and no amount of sophistry on either side would change
that -- and no convenient use of the passive voice (as
in “be authorized”) can change it either.

The same goes for the term “disabled”.  I believe you
are assuming what you hope to show, that this poor
woman was not “brain dead.”  We don’t really know, of
course.  But there is considerable evidence that she
was.  You may not find it persuasive, but it’s not a
point that can be taken for granted.  It also doesn‘t
really answer the question about what should happen to
her, ethically, because the issue is whether she would
want to live in the state she was in, whatever state
that was.  I wouldn’t.  Most people apparently
wouldn’t.  You apparently would.  I hope we can take
from this the importance of clearly expressing these
views and doing whatever else is necessary to protect
our loved ones from these nightmares.  “Living wills”
are the most common way to do this, but I’m told that
power of attorney is the only thing that really
settles the matter.

Likewise “assisted suicide,” which you claim isn’t
involved.  But I think that’s in large part what this
whole argument is about.  Are you claiming that you,
better than her partner or parents, know her wishes?
Or that her wishes shouldn’t matter?

Or perhaps are you claiming that her partner should
have allowed this -- really very questionable --
treatment that her desperate parents dredged up with
the help of Randall Terry et al?  Surely you know that
one or two crackpot “experts” can be found to testify
to almost anything: there is no global warming,
smoking doesn’t cause cancer, species don’t evolve,
poor people and/or people of color are genetically
inferior, etc.  I think it is another general point
that we should all take away from this mess.  It’s
easy to present the *appearance* of controversy or
uncertainty where none really exists; we have to weigh
the evidence, not just tally the experts.

Or are you claiming that “assisted suicide” is
inappropriate because you prefer “judicial murder” --
again assuming what you hope to show?  It’s a label
you can apply to express your opinion, of course, and
not at all obvious that it’s the customary use of the
words.  I think the (I think too narrow) definition of
murder you quoted earlier shows this.  What is comes
down to is whether it’s legal or not  -- or, I would
argue, ethical -- which again is precisely what we are
arguing about.  I believe you are going in circles.

In any event, when interpreting the polls, it doesn't
matter what we think these terms ought to mean, but
what the respondents understood by them.  I think you
are interpreting the poll data too narrowly.  These
are the terms that most people would apply in this
case, and therefore that is what the poll is about.
People do not normally find actions “inappropriate”
when they agree with the result.

And of course most people sympathize with both “sides”
of the family.  It’s a difficult, painful thing to
watch a loved one die under any circumstances.  Fights
are often involved, and we can say among ourselves
that people should be reasonable, but we understand
that at times like this, when emotions are high,
reason breaks down.  We’ve probably all seen it.

Of course, none of us has that excuse.

But I think we can agree on your general point, that
the government should provide health care, but
disagree on what that means.  I think the government
should provide free abortions on demand, for example.
I also think that keeping a body - or a person -
alive regardless of its state is not always health
care; sometimes it’s the opposite.  I suppose we
disagree on whether this is one of those times.

We certainly have a legal limbo that needs resolving
in this country.  Most people do not have a clear
expression on record anywhere of their wishes in these
situations, and even when folks have “living wills” we
can‘t anticipate every possibility or easily cover it
in broad language.  Loopholes are not unknown to our
society, to say the least, and when emotions are high,
people will look for them.  Anyway, most of us do not
have strong enough, that is simple enough, wishes that
we can express them that clearly.  I wish I had a
nickel for every time I worked with a bunch of union
members until we agreed on contract language, only to
have them tell me later, “That’s not what we meant!”

And there can be no real, ethical default position
that we could make into a workable rule for all cases.
 I think that inevitably leaves us with a “next of
kin” situation in some cases.  It’s terrible burden to
lay on a loved one, but that’s one more reason all of
us should make our wishes very clear to all of ours,
preferably including written evidence.  They may not
like it, of course.  My grandmother and my mother
don’t like the fact that I’m an organ donor.  I’ve
made sure it will never be their decision.

Ricky

--- "C. G. Estabrook" <galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu>