[Peace-discuss] Schiavo, democrats and aristocrats

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 4 16:27:32 CDT 2005

Ricky--

[1] I don't quite see your point about intervention.  Certainly an
intervention took place, in that a disabled woman who wasn't dying is now
dead.

[2] I believe you're the once "assuming what you hope to show," that this
woman was brain dead. I don't know, but there was certainly disagreement
on the issue. Her vital signs showed that she was alive; she died of
dehydration, some two weeks after her feeding tube was removed.

[3] Her wishes, too, were ambiguous. Only those who think she should have
been made dead have to insist that they were clear.  (And in this regard,
I like your comment, "I wish I had a nickel for every time I worked with a
bunch of union members until we agreed on contract language, only to have
them tell me later, 'That's not what we meant!'")

[4] The only "treatment" that I think she certainly should have had was
food and water. There were people who were willing to try to feed and
hydrate her even after the feeding tube was removed, but the court used
police to prevent that.

[5] I'm not in favor of assisted suicide, or judicial murder. (Come to
think of it, if this case could have been properly described as "assisted
suicide," it probably would have been illegal under Florida law.)

[6] On the polls, you're certainly right to say that they have to be
interpreted on "what the respondents understood..."  Democratic pollster
Pat Caddell has said, "...when you start your survey interviewing people,
and describe a situation which is not the actual condition of Terri
Schiavo, you have a problem ... [that] this [CBS] poll is so basically
designed to produce certain results, and then is being reported as such,
makes me very concerned."  I'll post separately a comment on a more recent
Zogby poll.  --CGE