[Peace-discuss] Fwd: [PDI] American Legion Declares War on Peace Movement

ouroboros rex c-bee1 at itg.uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 26 14:04:02 CDT 2005

Chuck Minne wrote:

>Eric Angell <eric-angell at comcast.net> wrote:From: "Eric Angell" <eric-angell at comcast.net>
>To: <Undisclosed-Recipient:;>
>Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 23:57:23 -0500
>CC:
>Subject: [PDI] American Legion Declares War on Peace Movement
>
>Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy ride...
>
>From: http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=05/08/25/1342217:
>
>American Legion Declares War on Peace Movement
>The organization the American Legion has voted at its national convention to target peace activists and the antiwar movement. The group boasts nearly 3 million members. The group's national commander called for an end to all "public protests" and what he called "media events" against the war, even though they are protected by the Bill of Rights. Thomas Cadmus told the convention "The American Legion will stand against anyone and any group that would demoralize our troops, or worse, endanger their lives by encouraging terrorists to continue their cowardly attacks against freedom-loving peoples. The delegates voted to use whatever means necessary to "ensure the united backing of the American people to support our troops and the global war on terrorism."

  Yep.  But in 1999:

Dear Mr. President:
The American Legion, a wartime veterans organization of nearly
three-million members, urges the immediate withdrawal of American
troops participating in "Operation Allied Force.''

The National Executive Committee of The American Legion, meeting in
Indianapolis today, adopted Resolution 44, titled "The American
Legion's Statement on Yugoslavia.'' This resolution was debated and
adopted unanimously.

Mr. President, the United States Armed Forces should never be
committed to wartime operations unless the following conditions are
fulfilled:

That there be a clear statement by the President of why it is in our
vital national interests to be engaged in hostilities;

Guidelines be established for the mission, including a clear exit
strategy;

That there be support of the mission by the U.S. Congress and the
American people; and

That it be made clear that U.S. Forces will be commanded only by U.S.
officers whom we acknowledge are superior military leaders.
It is the opinion of The American Legion, which I am sure is shared by
the majority of Americans, that three of the above listed conditions
have not been met in the current joint operation with NATO ("Operation
Allied Force'').

In no case should America commit its Armed Forces in the absence of
clearly defined objectives agreed upon by the U.S. Congress in
accordance with Article I, Section 8, of the Constitution of the
United States.

Sincerely,
Harold L. "Butch'' Miller,
National Commander