[Peace-discuss] conditions brought on by the 1990 sanctions

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Tue Dec 13 12:08:42 CST 2005

---- Original message ----
>My comment: While Iraq was not a developing country, the US
>has reduced it to such (starting with the sanctions) and the
>availability of needed items continues to decline. So some
of the care kits for developing countries are applicable to
the situation in Iraq.

[[I just ran across a statement about the affect of
sanctions. This was written in March of 2000 by a UN
Commission:]]

Item 13: Rights of the Child, The Human Rights of Children in
Iraq

UN Commission on Human Rights
Fifty-sixth session  March 20 - April 28, 2000
Palais des Nations, Geneva

Statement delivered by Arlene Flaherty, OP, on behalf of
FI/OP addressing the Human Rights situation facing children
in Iraq

I speak on behalf of Franciscans International and Dominicans
for Justice and Peace, in conjunction with the Justice
Promoters of the Dominican Order in the United States of
America and 75 signatories of our written statement
(E/CN.2/2000/NG0/59).

Children are most often the most vulnerable victims in
situations of war and conflict. Additionally, many reports
now indicate how children and women suffer greatly when
sanctions are imposed upon a country following conflicts.
Their health and well-being are greatly damaged and affected
in violation of fundamental articles of the UN Convention on
the Rights of the Child and of the Universal Declaration of
Human Rights.

In this respect, we are gravely concerned that the UN-imposed
sanctions and embargo on Iraq is adversely affecting the
health and well being of Iraqi children. We are aware of the
political issues which surround the situation in Iraq.
However, our intention is to raise the humanitarian concerns -
 the human rights situation of children in Iraq, and not to
address the political issues.

In a statement to the UN Security Council on March 24, 2000,
the Secretary-General of the United Nations Mr. Kofi Annan
declared "I am particularly concerned about the situation of
Iraqi children, whose suffering and, in all too many cases,
untimely death has been documented in the report prepared by
UNICEF and the Iraqi Health Ministry last year. That report,
which has been echoed by many other observers, showed that,
in the centre and south of Iraq, infant mortality and
morbidity have increased dramatically and reached
unacceptable levels."

The UN Report on the Current Humanitarian Situation in Iraq,
30 March 1999, compares the state of Iraq prior and after the
events of 1990-91.

The prevalence of malnutrition in Iraqi children under 5
years of age almost doubled and the World Food Program
reports the monthly food basket- distributed in Iraq lasts
only 20 days. Similarly, the World Food Program estimates
that since 1991 access to potable drinking water has dropped
to 50% with even lower levels available in the rural areas of
the country. Water borne diseases and other communicable
diseases are devastating Iraq's children. The shortage of
drugs, supplies and medical equipment, exacerbated by the
import restrictions by the United Nations, has crippled
Iraq's healthcare system.

Many pediatric hospitals could be described as chambers of
horror. The two US Dominican delegations which visited Iraq
in 1999 and in March of this year have witnessed masses of
children lying feverishly on uncovered hospital mattresses in
unrelieved pain because there no bed sheets and there are no
medicines available for their comfort. Anemic birth mothers
wait anxiously while their. underweight newborns gasp for
breath below oxygen tanks. Children are ravaged by rising
cancers for lack of chemotherapy and a shortage of blood
transfusion bags. One physician described with horror the
death of a nine-year old leukemia patient and concluded "His
only crime was that he was an Iraqi child." Another doctor
surveying the sadness of a hospital ward turned to the
visiting delegation and asked, "What have they done to
deserve this?" It is estimated that as many as 5,000 children
die every month as a direct result of privations under
sanctions. The deaths and serious injuries among children as
well as the trauma inflicted upon children by allied bombing
sorties over northern and southern Iraq will have long-term
consequences on the life of the individual, family, culture
and society of Iraq. It will also have long-term consequences
on the international community for we are all diminished and
affected by this tragedy.

In a significant way, the lasting effects of the Gulf War and
UN. policies such as Resolution 661 and 986, (Oil for Food),
have had calamitous effects on Iraqi children. It is time
that this problem be addressed through an intervention. The
international community has made a commitment to ensure that
every child "be brought up in a spirit of understanding,
tolerance, friendship among peoples, peace and universal
brother/sisterhood." How can we ensure this right for Iraqi
children unless we address those policies and practices that
are severely compromising their happiness and health?

Secretary-General Kofi Annan has said "A United Nations that
will not stand up for human rights is a United Nations that
cannot stand up for itself." In the name of the United
Nations, in the name of the Iraqi children and in the words
of one Iraqi child, "Please do something..."

Franciscans International and Dominicans for Justice and
Peace together with the Justice and Peace Promoters of the
Dominican Order in the United States recommend that the UN
Commission on Human Rights strongly urge the international
community to lift the sanctions and embargo on Iraq and
advocate for immediate measures to stop and reverse the
downward pattern of life experienced by Iraqi children.