[Peace-discuss] The Christmas He Dreamed for All of Us

Janine Giordano jgiord2 at uiuc.edu
Thu Dec 22 07:36:54 CST 2005

Karen Medina wrote, > Actually, we borrowed the holiday; Christmas is a
combination
> of  Zagmuk, Sacaea, Winter Solstice rituals, Yuletide,
> Saturnalia, and other pagan traditions.

Yes, we borrowed the time of year to celebrate from pagan traditions. But,
that does not mean the celebration is a "combination" of other traditions,
or that the meaning/point of the holiday is as vague as "honoring
selflessness, loving our brothers and > sisters, a renewal of hope, and
forgiveness for the times that > we separate ourselves." To many
self-identifying Christians today, Christmas is about the birth of a Messiah
born to redeem humans' morass in sin: hatred, selfishness, unkindness,
violence against humanity, etc. and give us new life on earth and eternal
life with our God in heaven. I'd say this is a bit more radical and specific
than the earlier pagan holidays.

But, speaking of Christianity, how guilty do we think evangelical Christians
are in building the present Bush administration and
Conservative/white/wealthy/male power establishment? How much of this
"guilt" is tied to their theology? Does the theology/belief-system need to
be destroyed in order to bring about political change? Is this really the
best strategy? As a Christian and radical feminist, I personally see Wall
Street republicans who love low taxes, outsourced sweatshop labor and
totally unequal school funding schemes are just as culpable, if not far more
culpable, in engineering this conservative revolution. It seems like we
don't attack anyone else's culture and religion in our political activism.
In fact, we protect it. Is my theology to blame?

Janine Giordano