[Peace-discuss] The Christmas He Dreamed for All of Us

janine giordano jgiord2 at uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 23 12:43:14 CST 2005

Agreed, the time of year to celebrate Christianity, and
indeed the definition of "pagans," arose in the course of
defending the Christian faith against worshippers of other
gods. But, why do some think that this knowledge gives them
the freedom to lash out against the legitimacy of Christian
faith?: Why the need to call Christ X? Why the desire to
erode Christmas of its spirituality for the secular popular
sector? What is so threatening about Christianity?

If we really hope to build a movement, if we really hope to
build some kind of tangible change from "presences" outside
of churches, we have to articulate why we find Christianity
is so threatening. We have to decide whether or not we are
willing to build coalition with believers that Christ is the
one and only Messiah, Savior of the World. We have to decide
whether we want our movement for social justice/ peace/ etc
to be completely marxist-materialist or not. I use "we" as
referring to my identification with those who fight for
social justice and human dignity. As a Christian, I do not
understand this obsessive need to turn Christ into "Xy" and
discuss its historically contingent syncretism. Knowing
Christ is not something someone can be rationally convinced
into or out of.

My opinion is that we are not going to get very far with an
activist movement for justice in this country without the
collaboration of "believers" (those whose faith is in
something unseen). We don't all have to ask each other to
convert. But, we have to respect each other's traditions. Do
we really believe that Christian theology is at the center
of Bush's conservative-hegemonic political coalition? If so,
please explain. If not, can we please start fighting the
real beast-----or at least come to consensus in defining the
real beast?? At risk here are millions of socially conscious
believers (Christian and otherwise) who are upset by an
attack on their treasure, their identity, their worldly
motivation.

janine