[Peace-discuss] RE: The Christmas He Dreamed for All of Us

janine giordano jgiord2 at uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 30 11:21:45 CST 2005

I think the best way to initiate conversation with churches
is to make use of those of us on this list and friends of
those on this list who are already Christians and willing to
talk about this. Ask those already involved in social justice
projects to be bold enough to initiate conversations, and let
those of us who are not religious be supporters of
the "indigenous" movement of Christians for justice. I
believe this is the old organizing tradition of sucessful
social movements in this country. It's the old principle
of "consciousness raising," organizing and in fact missionary
activity: support those already working with a network of
people who have ideas and resources that can stretch the
movement to a greater area and greater population. Who on
this list goes to a church with members who could profit from
a conversation of this type? Are you willing to join in a
discussion among ourselves and potentially to invite our
respective churches/Christian organizations' members to join
us?

I know I've said this before, but I really think we need to
have faith in Christians that progressive politics/ the anti
war movement is really their cause, and that they can fight
for it, and that successful social movements are guided by
the principle that oppressed people must fight for
themselves. I believe the same about black freedom and
women's freedom, etc. It's not that we need to
find "sympathetic" insiders to get us in. For, we are not the
best fighters for a cause that is not our own. The process of
empowering new leaders is part of the movment. I think we
need to build up/ nurture "mature" believers in both
Christianity and social justice who can build networks with
our support, and join in coalition with us for a bigger
grassroots movement.

janine