[Peace-discuss] RE: The Christmas He Dreamed for All of Us

Chas. 'Mark' Bee c-bee1 at itg.uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 30 12:26:18 CST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "janine giordano" <jgiord2 at uiuc.edu>
To: "Chas. 'Mark' Bee" <c-bee1 at itg.uiuc.edu>; "Peace-discuss"
<peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net>
Sent: Friday, December 30, 2005 11:21 AM
Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] RE: The Christmas He Dreamed for All of Us

>I think the best way to initiate conversation with churches
> is to make use of those of us on this list and friends of
> those on this list who are already Christians and willing to
> talk about this. Ask those already involved in social justice
> projects to be bold enough to initiate conversations, and let
> those of us who are not religious be supporters of
> the "indigenous" movement of Christians for justice. I
> believe this is the old organizing tradition of sucessful
> social movements in this country. It's the old principle
> of "consciousness raising," organizing and in fact missionary
> activity: support those already working with a network of
> people who have ideas and resources that can stretch the
> movement to a greater area and greater population. Who on
> this list goes to a church with members who could profit from
> a conversation of this type? Are you willing to join in a
> discussion among ourselves and potentially to invite our
> respective churches/Christian organizations' members to join
> us?
>
> I know I've said this before, but I really think we need to
> have faith in Christians that progressive politics/ the anti
> war movement is really their cause, and that they can fight
> for it, and that successful social movements are guided by
> the principle that oppressed people must fight for
> themselves. I believe the same about black freedom and
> women's freedom, etc. It's not that we need to
> find "sympathetic" insiders to get us in. For, we are not the
> best fighters for a cause that is not our own.

"Agreeing that what goes on inside churches is NOT just proBush pep rallies,
I have wondered if organizing and protest would be better wrought from
inside the church than outside. I wonder how this is done...
-Janine"

   I just told you how to sort an entire congregation regardless of size for
willing participants, using their own 100% readership weekly publication and
avoiding kneejerk reactions from signage and slogans.  Let hir who has ears to
hear, hear.

  Me, I hear that Vineyard place seats 1700. =)   -cmb