[Peace-discuss] YMCA partners with ARMY

kstepans at uiuc.edu kstepans at uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 11 17:26:49 CST 2005

It is not everyday you can discover the "oportunities" of the
ARMY on the front lawn of the University Y.  But today was
such a day.  You could also get a free keychain, talk with a
ROTC student, hear some rock blasting from speakers, and win
some tickets to a basketball game.  107.1 (the planet) and
the ARMY paired up to glamorize enlisting in the military.
But why were they allowed on the Y lawn?   Is this common
policy?  Does anyone know if this has happened before?  I am
disturbed that the Y would allow people to recruit out
front.  Even if they guise it as free speech (which I do not
yet know their reasons) it will not lead to free speech
wherever the people who enlist end up going.  I find this
unethical and counterproductive to many of the events that
take place at the Y.

-kate stepanski
student peace action member