[Peace-discuss] Forgiveness Weekend program schedule

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Sun Feb 13 22:04:43 CST 2005

Randall--

My question was about the "overall goal of the event," not (as you rightly
say) "Bevel's undeniably objectionable support of the Larouche and Moon
cult."  I'd like to see spelled out what it is one is being asked to
support -- information apparently absent from the web-site and publicity
for the event.

My "bias" against the event arises from my suspicion that it attacks the
wrong problem (and may even overstate it).  Do you think that there should
be no restrictions placed on felons? That's a very different matter from
the the fact that many people become felons inappropriately, owing to the
present drug laws.

Aaron lists a number of these restrictions.  I don't know that they all
exist.  (It is for example not true that an ex-felon is debarred form
being president, as he says: the only requirements for president are in
the constitution.)  Nor do I think that all such restrictions are
necessarily inappropriate. Do you think that the "murderers, rapists, and
pedophiles," whom Aaron mentions, should not be prevented from being a
"public school teacher, principal, counselor, bus driver, coach or
janitor"?

Aaron admits that there is no literal disfranchisement of felons in
Illinois (i.e., they can vote). But his ultimate demand is for "full
voting rights restored to all felons who have paid their debts to society
by serving their time" -- at best a misleading statement of the goals of
the rally, apparently.

As I said, I'm afraid that the Forgiveness Weekend is at best working on
the edges of a serious social problem, perhaps inefficiently (the reforms
requested will do nothing to lessen the prison population) and even
wrong-headedly (some restrictions on true felons may be appropriate).

Regards, Carl