[Peace-discuss] Forgiveness Weekend program schedule

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 14 00:05:50 CST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "C. G. Estabrook" <galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu>
To: "Randall Cotton" <recotton at earthlink.net>
Cc: <peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net>; "danielle schumacher"
<danielle at illinoisnorml.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 13, 2005 10:04 PM
Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] Forgiveness Weekend program schedule

: Randall--
:
: My question was about the "overall goal of the event," not (as you rightly
: say) "Bevel's undeniably objectionable support of the Larouche and Moon
: cult."  I'd like to see spelled out what it is one is being asked to
: support -- information apparently absent from the web-site and publicity
: for the event.

I'm not under the impression that by attending, folks are being asked to
support anything.

I could be wrong, I suppose, but it seems to me that the conference is
educational and informative in nature, not a "rally", as you label it.

I agree that there does seem to be a lack of detailed information about the
event, especially considering its extent. The best info available that I'm
aware of (at that web address I posted) doesn't provide much beyond titles.
That may be due at least in part to the organizers being a bit overwhelmed,
I don't know.

Perhaps more information is available elsewhere. If not, I suspect more
details will foster greater attendance.

: My "bias" against the event arises from my suspicion that it attacks the
: wrong problem (and may even overstate it).  Do you think that there should
: be no restrictions placed on felons?

Nope, but no one has put forth such a premise except you 8-). For instance,
in Aaron's statement below, it seems to me that he is clearly only speaking
in favor of relaxing some restrictions in the context of felonies due to
"minor crimes such as possession of a small amount of marijuana, video and
audio taping of traffic stops of police officers or giving the police a
false name". Why do you leap from that to "no restrictions placed on
felons"?

: That's a very different matter from
: the the fact that many people become felons inappropriately, owing to the
: present drug laws.
:
: Aaron lists a number of these restrictions.  I don't know that they all
: exist.  (It is for example not true that an ex-felon is debarred form
: being president, as he says: the only requirements for president are in
: the constitution.).

Well, while that may be true about the President, it seems pretty
inconsequential 8-)

: Nor do I think that all such restrictions are
: necessarily inappropriate. Do you think that the "murderers, rapists, and
: pedophiles," whom Aaron mentions, should not be prevented from being a
: "public school teacher, principal, counselor, bus driver, coach or
: janitor"?

Again, you're implying that Aaron has advocated this, but clearly he
qualified the "public school teacher, principal, counselor, bus driver,
coach or janitor" bit with "someone who smoked a little bit of pot", not
"murderers, rapists, and pedophiles". This is quite unlike you, Carl, to
make such a mischaracterization and I remain mystified.

: Aaron admits that there is no literal disfranchisement of felons in
: Illinois (i.e., they can vote). But his ultimate demand is for "full
: voting rights restored to all felons who have paid their debts to society
: by serving their time" -- at best a misleading statement of the goals of
: the rally, apparently.

What "rally"? Forgiveness Weekend? Aaron never mentioned Forgiveness Weekend
in this piece (and again, I'm not sure why you characterize it as a "rally"
as opposed to a conference or forum). He only mentioned CUCFPJ, so if
anything, in that last paragraph he was listing issues that CUCFPJ is
concerned with (of which voting rights for felons is just one example).
Again, it seems to me that you're jumping to all sorts of conclusions
without rational basis. Why is that? It's not like you.

: As I said, I'm afraid that the Forgiveness Weekend is at best working on
: the edges of a serious social problem, perhaps inefficiently (the reforms
: requested will do nothing to lessen the prison population)

Well, decriminalizing drug use altogether, for instance, would solve a lot
of problems, granted. It would prevent charges and incarceration in the
first place. So yes, that would accomplish more, but it's an immense and
long-term undertaking by comparison. Who's to judge that suffering with no
relief for years until the grand shangri-la is achieved all at once rather
than focusing on smaller incremental relief in the short term (along the
road to desired ends) is somehow a better approach? Certainly neither you
nor I.

: and even
: wrong-headedly (some restrictions on true felons may be appropriate).

Which "appropriate" restrictions on true felons do you believe are under
attack by CUCFPJ? And on what rational basis do you conclude as such?

Thanks

: Regards, Carl
:
: