[Peace-discuss] Fw: YMCA partners with ARMY

Morton K.Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Mon Feb 14 13:10:56 CST 2005

I find this an incredibly naive defense of the Y, for example:

> …we shouldn't be concerned since the Y is "committed" to social
> justice and that
> army recruitment event on the lawn was just one more way to get young
> people
> interested in doing the right thing.
> Maybe next time the ARMY wants to rent the "Y" lawn someone can
> explain how
> military recruitment and social justice can work side by side..

The Army is not a social humanitarian agency, and recruiting in this
day and age is to support the execrable militaristic aims of the Bush
administration. Recruits simply become expendable pawns of the
military, hired killers if you wish. They may not realize this, being
naive and young and perhaps frustrated with their lives and prospects,
but that is what they are basically recruited for. If this Y attitude
were known widely, I'm sure the Y would lose considerable support among
those who truly have a conscience for humanity.

Here, we at AWARE are trying to stop high school military recruitment,
and we have these lame excuses. Perhaps allowing recuitment was only
due to a particular person's actions, with lack of considered
oversight, and we should not blame the Y over-all. Nonetheless…

mkb