[Peace-discuss] Hip-hop billboards

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 4 12:21:21 CST 2005

I asked Aaron explicitly in the meeting if he wanted the cartoon censored.
He said he did and repeated that answer when I asked him again after the
meeting.  He also repeated his example: if the paper could pull the strip
when it criticized Bush, he said, it could also do that when it used
inappropriate words.

Had the billboards been an attack on hip-hop as some of our colleagues
thought, should AWARE have demanded their removal? Seeking to suppress
offensive speech is a principal IP diversion, it seems to me.  --CGE