[Peace-discuss] Next AWARE meeting

carol inskeep carolinskeep at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 5 13:57:16 CST 2005

I think an awful lot of us left the last AWARE meeting feeling bad about how it went.  We will always have differences about issues - it's healthy.   But it's absolutely crucial that we treat each other with respect.  The bottom line is that to do any political work - to in fact survive as a group, we've got to have a sense of community where people feel welcome and where conflict is handled without personal attacks.  I really feel sick at heart when I see condescension and insults in an AWARE meeting.

Bob, I thought you had a thankless job last week trying to facilitate.  Please don't in any way feel discouraged.  I wish that we would all commit ourselves to speaking up when the discussion starts to get rude or insulting -  not to stifle disagreement, but to promote the kind of respect and patience that makes real open discussion possible.

Some folks have suggested that it might be a good time to revive AWARE Care - the working group which used to get together and discuss ways to make our meetings more interesting, effective, and welcoming.  I'd be glad to be part of that.

Durl Kruse - a glutton for punishment and one of AWARE's most good-natured members - has said he'd be glad to facilitate.  And I'm glad to get back on track doing the agendas.

cpi

http://mail.yahoo.com