[Peace-discuss] tactical alliances

sgdavis sgdavis at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 11 10:14:37 CST 2005

Dan, Mort, et al,

What particularly troubles me about Bevel (besides his vice-presidential
candidacy) is that he sits on a foundation board with Richard Viguerie --
Viguerie's new book on America's hard right turn is notable for describing the
uses of the internet and direct mail for creating a new rightward moving
"grassroots."

Interestingly Viguerie also claims not to want to be identified as a
Republican, because he and his cohort see themselves far to the right of and
much more powerful than Republicans (and they're so 20th century, with their
emphasis on the party and fiscal constraint.)

Add Viguerie to LaRouche and its not a good scene.

African Americans get one index entry in Viguerie's book, and no considered
discussion of their historical aims and goals. So one wonders what such a
pro-prison, anti-gay, anti-feminist Christian (and admittedly sometimes
anti-war)"tactical alliance" can bring African Americans.  Clearly what Bevel
brings to the far right is street cred and organizing skills.

Susan

===== Original Message From "Dan Schreiber" <dan at sourcegear.com> =====