[Peace-discuss] Correction to AWARE notes for 1/23

Susan Davis sgdavis at uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 24 14:53:33 CST 2005

just a small correction to the notes on last night aware meeting

I suggested that we invite someone from Champaign County health care
consumers to come speak to us not about the problems of  people who can't
pay their bills --  but of denial of access to primary care physicians by
Carle and Provena to people who may well be able to pay their bills, but
who would pay them through Medicaid or out-of-pocket because they do not
have private insurance.

This is a group of people that numbers 30,000 in our county. (or about one
in six residents)

in other words these hospitals and clinics are denying access to primary
care because they don't like the kind of insurance or the method of
payment, as well as because of inability to pay.

primary care usually means regular checkups and health-maintenance, and
monitoring of chronic conditions.  If you don't have that access, you're
not getting your blood pressure checked, eyes and hearing checked, your
questions answered, your Pap smear, etc. and so problems wait until you are
in the emergency room.

this should be an issue in the upcoming mayoral and city council
election!  Not least because one of the city council candidates is a Carle
executive.