[Peace-discuss] Obama-Durbin Watch

Morton K.Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Sat Jan 29 18:10:05 CST 2005

Hi all,

Below is a letter sent to Barack Obama on the subject of our presence
in Iraq. Feel free to use it, modifying it according to your tastes. It
does not by far cover all bases, Palestine-Israel, the approval of Bush
nominees Gonzales and Rice, the phony justifications of the war of
terrorism,  "rogue nations" etc.; there is so much more to ask/demand
of Obama and Durbin. Let's circulate your thoughts to the group in the
form of letters to our representatives, preparing for our onslaught on
media outlets, and preparing pamphlets for distribution at events where
AWARE is present. mkb

The Honorable Barack Obama
United States Senate
40B Dirksen Basement (Temp)
Washington, DC 205101305

Re: Iraq and US

  Senator Obama:

It is clear that the United States is in a quagmire in Iraq.

There are growing calls for the United States to withdraw from Iraq
coming from all parts of the political spectrum.  I urge you to add
your voice to this chorus.

Please do whatever you can to make the United States withdraw from Iraq!

There are those who argue that the United States has a moral obligation
to rebuild Iraq. That does not require keeping troops and bases in
Iraq, thus maintaining our grip there. The only moral and reasonable
recourse is for the President to withdraw all U.S. troops as quickly as
possible.

Some argue that withdrawal from Iraq may lead to disaster: Civil war
may break out; an extremist Islamic government may take over; outside
countries may intervene; the country may be partitioned. But all these
possibilities have been engendered by the U.S. troop presence in Iraq.

Pulling U.S. troops out of Iraq will leave American forces less
vulnerable to attacks by the armed resistance, will diminish the
casualties among Iraqis and the destruction of their society, and will
bolster the American standing in the world, especially if the United
States truly helps Iraq reconstitute itself by giving ample financial
resources as reparations for our aggression there.

The United States must withdraw its troops from Iraq despite its
obvious, if denied, original motivations, i.e. to secure a strategic
base to control this oil rich region.

Please make this a top priority. You were elected by many who had faith
in your good judgment to stop the war in Iraq. Act with others to do
so.

Sincerely,

M. K. Brussel