[Peace-discuss] Bryd on Condolessa Rice's record

ppatton at uiuc.edu ppatton at uiuc.edu
Sat Jan 29 11:56:52 CST 2005

by US Senator Robert C. Byrd
Remarks delivered Tuesday as the Senate debated the nomination
of Dr. Condoleezza Rice to be Secretary of State. The Senate
is scheduled to vote on the nomination on Wednesday.

The Constitution, in Article Two, Section Two, states that the
President "shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and
Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public
Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all
other Officers of the United States..." Recognizing that the
Senate’s role of advice and consent is one of the few
legislative powers explicitly cited in the Constitution,
Senator Byrd believes that it is a power that Senators of both
parties must rigorously protect. It is not a ceremonial exercise.

To confirm Dr. Rice to be the next Secretary of State is to
say to the American people, and the world, that the answers to
those questions are no longer important. Her confirmation will
most certainly be viewed as another endorsement of the
Administration’s unconstitutional doctrine of preemptive war,
its bullying policies of unilateralism, and its callous
rejection of our long-standing allies.

With regard to this nomination, Senator Byrd has been
particularly concerned about Dr. Rice’s role in crafting the
Bush doctrine of preemption, or the first-strike war. No one
denies that the President has the inherent authority to repel
attacks against our country, but Senator Byrd believes that
the doctrine of first-strike war against another country which
does not pose an imminent threat to the United States is
unconstitutional.

In Federalist Number 77, Alexander Hamilton wrote:

    “It will readily be comprehended, that a man who had
himself the sole disposition of offices, would be governed
much more by his private inclinations and interests, than when
he was bound to submit the propriety of his choice to the
discussion and determination of a different and independent
body, and that body an entire branch of the legislature. The
possibility of rejection would be a strong motive to care in
proposing.”

Although Hamilton explains the importance of the role of the
Senate in the appointment of officers of the United States,
neither he, nor the Constitution, is specific about what
criteria Senators must use to judge the qualifications of a
nominee. The Constitution only requires that the Senate give
its advice and consent. It is therefore left to Senators to
use their own judgment in considering their vote. The factors
involved in such judgments may vary among Senators, among
nominees, and may even change in response to the needs of the
times.

The position of Secretary of State is among the most important
offices for which the Constitution requires the advice and
consent of the Senate. It is the Secretary of State that sits
at the right hand of the President during meetings of the
Cabinet. The Secretary of State is all the more important
today, considering the enormous diplomatic challenges our
country will face in the next four years.

I must commend the Foreign Relations Committee for its work in
bringing the nomination of Dr. Condoleezza Rice to the Floor
of the Senate. Chairman Richard Lugar conducted two days of
hearings for this nominee, and the debate that began in the
committee on this nomination is now being continued here on
the Floor of the Senate. Senator Biden also provided a voice
of great foreign policy experience during those hearings. I
was particularly impressed by Senator Boxer, who tackled her
role on the committee with passion and forthrightness, as did
Senator Kerry.

There is no doubt that Dr. Rice has a remarkable record of
personal achievement. She obtained her bachelor’s degree at
the tender age of 19. Speaking as someone who did not earn a
bachelor’s degree until I had reached 77 years of age, I have
a special appreciation for Dr. Rice’s impressive academic
achievement. She then obtained a doctorate in international
studies, and quickly rose through the academic ranks to become
Provost of Stanford University.

Dr. Rice has also gathered extensive experience in foreign
policy matters. She is a recognized expert on matters relating
to Russia and the former Soviet Union. She has twice worked on
the National Security Council, once as the senior advisor on
Soviet issues, and most recently, for four years as National
Security Advisor. Dr. Rice has had ample exposure to the
nuances of international politics, and by that measure, she is
certainly qualified for the position of Secretary of State.

The next Secretary of State will have large shoes to fill. I
have closely watched the career of Colin Powell since he
served as National Security Advisor to President Reagan, and
we worked together during the Senate consideration of the INF
Treaty of 1988. He distinguished himself in his service as
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, particularly during the
1991 Gulf War. When his nomination came before the Senate in
2001, I supported his confirmation based upon the strength of
his record.

The vote that the Senate will conduct tomorrow, however, is
not simply a formality to approve of a nominee’s educational
achievement or level of expertise. I do not subscribe to the
notion that the Senate must confirm a President’s nominees,
barring criminality or lack of experience. The Constitution
enjoins Senators to use their judgment in considering nominations.

I am particularly dismayed by accusations I have read that
Senate Democrats, by insisting on having an opportunity to
debate the nomination of Dr. Rice, have somehow been engaged
in nothing more substantial than “petty politics” or partisan
delaying tactics. Nothing could be further from the truth. The
Senate’s role of advice and consent to presidential
nominations is not a ceremonial exercise.

I have stood on this Senate floor more times than I can count
to defend the prerogatives of this institution and the
separate but equal – with emphasis on the word “equal” –
powers of the three branches of government. A unique power of
the Legislative Branch is the Senate’s role in providing
advice and consent on the matter of nominations. That power is
not vested in the Senate Foreign Relations Committee or any
other committee; nor does it repose in a handful of Senate
leaders. It is not a function of pomp and circumstance, and it
was never intended by the Framers to be used to burnish the
image of a President on inauguration day.

And yet that is exactly what Senators were being pressured to
do last week – to acquiesce mutely to the nomination of one of
the most important members of the President’s Cabinet without
the merest hiccup of debate or the smallest inconvenience of a
roll call vote.

And so we are here today to fulfill our constitutional duty to
consider the nomination of Dr. Rice to be Secretary of State.
Mr. President, I have carefully considered Dr. Rice’s record
as National Security Advisor in the two months that have
passed since the President announced her nomination to be
Secretary of State. That record, I am afraid, is one of
intimate involvement in a number of Administration foreign
policies which I strongly oppose. These policies have fostered
enormous opposition -- both at home and abroad -- to the White
House’s view of America’s place in the world.

That view of America is one which encourages our Nation to
flex its muscles without being bound by any calls for
restraint. The most forceful explanation of this idea can be
found in "The National Security Strategy of the United
States," a report which was issued by the White House in
September 2002. Under this strategy, the President lays claim
to an expansive power to use our military to strike other
nations first, even if we have not been threatened or provoked.

There is no question that the President has the inherent
authority to repel attacks against our country, but this
National Security Strategy is unconstitutional on its face. It
takes the checks and balances established in the Constitution
that limit the President’s ability to use our military at his
pleasure, and throws them out the window.

This doctrine of preemptive strikes places the sole decision
of war and peace in the hands of the President and undermines
the Constitutional power of Congress to declare war. The
Founding Fathers required that such an important issue of war
be debated by the elected representatives of the people in the
Legislative Branch precisely because no single man could be
trusted with such an awesome power as bringing a nation to war
by his decision alone. And yet, that it exactly what the
National Security Strategy proposes.

Not only does this pernicious doctrine of preemptive war
contradict the Constitution, it barely acknowledges its
existence. The National Security Strategy makes only one
passing reference to the Constitution: it states that
"America’s constitution" -- that is "constitution" with a
small C -- "has served us well." As if the Constitution does
not still serve this country well! One might ask if that
reference to the Constitution was intended to be a compliment
or an obituary?

As National Security Advisor, Dr. Rice was in charge of
developing the National Security Strategy. She also spoke out
forcefully in support of the dangerous doctrine of preemptive
war. In one speech, she argues that there need not be an
imminent threat before the United States attacks another
nation: "So as a matter of common sense," said Dr. Rice on
October 1, 2002, "the United States must be prepared to take
action, when necessary, before threats have fully materialized."

But that "matter of common sense" is nowhere to be found in
the Constitution. For that matter, isn’t it possible to
disagree with this “matter of common sense?” What is common
sense to one might not be shared by another. What’s more,
matters of common sense can lead people to the wrong
conclusions. John Dickinson, the chief author of the Articles
of Confederation, said in 1787, “Experience must be our only
guide; reason may mislead us.” As for me, I will heed the
experience of Founding Fathers, as enshrined in the
Constitution, over the reason and “common sense” of the
Administration’s National Security Strategy.

We can all agree that the President, any President, has the
inherent duty and power to repel an attack on the United
States. But where in the Constitution can the President claim
the right to strike at another nation before it has even
threatened our country, as Dr. Rice asserted in that speech?
To put it plainly, Dr. Rice has asserted that the President
holds far more of the war power than the Constitution grants him.

This doctrine of attacking countries before a threat has
“fully materialized” was put into motion as soon as the
National Security Strategy was released. Beginning in
September 2002, Dr. Rice also took a position on the front
lines of the Administration’s effort to hype the danger of
Saddam’s weapons of mass destruction.

Dr. Rice is responsible for some of the most overblown
rhetoric that the Administration used to scare the American
people into believing that there was an imminent threat from
Iraq. On September 8, 2002, Dr. Rice conjured visions of
American cities being consumed by mushroom clouds. On an
appearance on CNN, she warned: “The problem here is that there
will always be some uncertainty about how quickly he [Saddam]
can acquire nuclear weapons. But we don't want the smoking gun
to be a mushroom cloud."

Dr. Rice also claimed that she had conclusive evidence about
Iraq’s alleged nuclear weapons program. During that same
interview, she also said: “We do know that he is actively
pursuing a nuclear weapon. We do know that there have been
shipments going into… Iraq, for instance, of aluminum tubes…
that are really only suited for nuclear weapons programs.”

We now know that Iraq’s nuclear program was a fiction. Charles
Duelfer, the chief arms inspector of the CIA’s Iraq Survey
Group, reported on September 30, 2004: “Saddam Husayn ended
the nuclear program in 1991 following the Gulf war. [The Iraq
Survey Group] found no evidence to suggest concerted efforts
to restart the program.”

But Dr. Rice’s statements in 2002 were not only wrong, they
also did not accurately reflect the intelligence reports of
the time. Declassified portions of the CIA’s National
Intelligence Estimate from October 2002 make it clear that
there were disagreements among our intelligence analysts about
the state of Iraq’s nuclear program. But Dr. Rice seriously
misrepresented their disputes when she categorically stated,
“We do know that [Saddam] is actively pursuing a nuclear weapon.”

Her allegation also misrepresented to the American people the
controversy in those same intelligence reports about the
aluminum tubes. Again, Dr. Rice said that these tubes were
“really only suited for nuclear weapons programs.” But
intelligence experts at the State Department and the
Department of Energy believed that those tubes had nothing to
do with building a nuclear weapon, and made their dissent
known in the October 2002 National Intelligence Estimate. This
view, which was at odds with Dr. Rice’s representations, was
later confirmed by the International Atomic Energy Agency and
our own CIA arms inspectors.

Dr. Rice made other statements that helped to build a case for
war by implying a link between Iraq and September 11. On
multiple occasions, Dr. Rice spoke about the supposed evidence
that Saddam and Al Qaeda were in league with each other. For