[Peace-discuss] A conservative on anti-war movements

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 12 23:00:38 CDT 2005

Several points, Mort:

[1] It's surprising that you should start with MoveOn, a
Democratic party front group that is thoroughly liberal in my
lexicon -- and their position on the war is "stay the course"!

[2] I'd make a distinction between liberal and left,
fundamentally on the point of support for or opposition to
capitalism.  All of the elected Democratic politicians in the
country (including Bernie Sanders, tho' he would deny it) fall
into the first group; the Progressive, Z Mag, Counterpunch
etc. (I have doubts about The Nation), into the second group.
 On that reading, it's almost exact that the left opposes the
war and liberals don't.

[3] Where are the brave actions of the "progressive caucus" in
the House against the war?  Only now do we get a a hat-in-hand
petition from some of them, asking the president please to
tell them how and when he's going to get out of Iraq. (It's
true that with the exception of Ron Paul and one or two
others, the paleo-conservative position is not represented in
the House.)

My point is that principled opposition to the war (and not
just worries that it isn't working very well) is found among
paleo-conservatives (what I posted was an example) and on the
left -- and not among liberals.  --CGE