[Peace-discuss] Karen Armstrong - The label of Catholic terror was never used

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 15 13:05:43 CDT 2005

It's been easy for people like Thomas Friedman (today
in the NYT) and many others to talk about Islamic
terror because Arab nationalism was violently
repressed, and what's left is religion as a
radicalizing force. This wasn't the case in Ireland.
It's interesting that Zionism, a "successful"
nationalist movement, has now spawned genuine
religious extremism and fanaticism as an aspect not of
liberation, but imperialism.

Subject: Karen Armstrong - The label of Catholic
terror was never used
about the IRA

The label of Catholic terror was never used about the
IRA

Fundamentalism is often a form of nationalism in
religious disguise

Karen Armstrong
Monday July 11, 2005
The Guardian

Last year I attended a conference in the US about
security and
intelligence
in the so-called war on terror and was astonished to
hear one of the
more
belligerent participants, who as far as I could tell
had nothing but
contempt for
religion, strongly argue that as a purely practical
expedient,
politicians and
the media must stop referring to "Muslim terrorism".
It was obvious, he
said,
that the atrocities had nothing to do with Islam, and
to suggest
otherwise was
not merely inaccurate but dangerously
counterproductive.

Rhetoric is a powerful weapon in any conflict. We
cannot hope to
convert
Osama bin Laden from his vicious ideology; our
priority must be to stem
the flow
of young people into organisations such as al-Qaida,
instead of
alienating them
by routinely coupling their religion with immoral
violence. Incorrect
statements about Islam have convinced too many in the
Muslim world that
the west is
an implacable enemy. Yet, as we found at the
conference, it is not easy
to find
an alternative for referring to this terrorism;
however, the attempt
can be a
salutary exercise that reveals the complexity of what
we are up
against.

We need a phrase that is more exact than "Islamic
terror". These acts
may be
committed by people who call themselves Muslims, but
they violate
essential
Islamic principles. The Qur'an prohibits aggressive
warfare, permits
war only in
self-defence and insists that the true Islamic values
are peace,
reconciliation and forgiveness. It also states firmly
that there must
be no coercion in
religious matters, and for centuries Islam had a much
better record of
religious
tolerance than Christianity.

Like the Bible, the Qur'an has its share of aggressive
texts, but like
all
the great religions, its main thrust is towards
kindliness and
compassion.
Islamic law outlaws war against any country in which
Muslims are
allowed to
practice their religion freely, and forbids the use of
fire, the
destruction of
buildings and the killing of innocent civilians in a
military campaign.
So although
Muslims, like Christians or Jews, have all too often
failed to live up
their ideals, it is not because of the religion per
se.

We rarely, if ever, called the IRA bombings "Catholic"
terrorism
because we
knew enough to realise that this was not essentially a
religious
campaign.
Indeed, like the Irish republican movement, many
fundamentalist
movements
worldwide are simply new forms of nationalism in a
highly unorthodox
religious guise.
This is obviously the case with Zionist fundamentalism
in Israel and
the
fervently patriotic Christian right in the US.
In the Muslim world, too, where the European
nationalist ideology has
always
seemed an alien import, fundamentalisms are often more
about a search
for
social identity and national self-definition than
religion. They
represent a
widespread desire to return to the roots of the
culture, before it was
invaded and
weakened by the colonial powers.

Because it is increasingly recognised that the
terrorists in no way
represent
mainstream Islam, some prefer to call them jihadists,
but this is not
very
satisfactory. Extremists and unscrupulous politicians
have purloined
the word
for their own purposes, but the real meaning of jihad
is not "holy war"
but
"struggle" or "effort." Muslims are commanded to make
a massive attempt
on all
fronts - social, economic, intellectual, ethical and
spiritual - to put
the will
of God into practice.

Sometimes a military effort may be a regrettable
necessity in order to
defend
decent values, but an oft-quoted tradition has the
Prophet Muhammad
saying
after a military victory: "We are coming back from the
Lesser Jihad [ie
the
battle] and returning to the Greater Jihad" - the far
more important,
difficult
and momentous struggle to reform our own society and
our own hearts.

Jihad is thus a cherished spiritual value that, for
most Muslims, has
no
connection with violence. Last year, at the University
of Kentucky, I
met a
delightful young man called Jihad; his parents had
given him that name
in the hope
that he would become not a holy warrior, but a truly
spiritual man who
would
make the world a better place. The term jihadi
terrorism is likely to
be
offensive, therefore, and will win no hearts or minds.

At our conference in Washington, many people favoured
"Wahhabi
terrorism".
They pointed out that most of the hijackers on
September 11 came from
Saudi
Arabia, where a peculiarly intolerant form of Islam
known as Wahhabism
was the
state religion. They argued that this description
would be popular with
those
many Muslims who tended to be hostile to the Saudis. I
was not happy,
however,
because even though the narrow, sometimes bigoted
vision of Wahhabism
makes it a
fruitful ground for extremism, the vast majority of
Wahhabis do not
commit
acts of terror.

Bin Laden was not inspired by Wahhabism but by the
writings of the
Egyptian
ideologue Sayyid Qutb, who was executed by President
Nasser in 1966.
Almost
every fundamentalist movement in Sunni Islam has been
strongly
influenced by
Qutb, so there is a good case for calling the violence
that some of his
followers
commit "Qutbian terrorism." Qutb urged his followers
to withdraw from
the
moral and spiritual barbarism of modern society and
fight it to the
death.

Western people should learn more about such thinkers
as Qutb, and
become
aware of the many dramatically different shades of
opinion in the
Muslim world.
There are too many lazy, unexamined assumptions about
Islam, which
tends to be
regarded as an amorphous, monolithic entity. Remarks
such as "They hate
our
freedom" may give some a righteous glow, but they are
not useful,
because they
are rarely accompanied by a rigorous analysis of who
exactly "they"
are.

The story of Qutb is also instructive as a reminder
that militant
religiosity
is often the product of social, economic and political
factors. Qutb
was
imprisoned for 15 years in one of Nasser's vile
concentration camps,
where he and
thousands of other members of the Muslim Brotherhood
were subjected to
physical and mental torture. He entered the camp as a
moderate, but the
prison made
him a fundamentalist. Modern secularism, as he had
experienced it under
Nasser,
seemed a great evil and a lethal assault on faith.

Precise intelligence is essential in any conflict. It
is important to
know
who our enemies are, but equally crucial to know who
they are not. It
is even
more vital to avoid turning potential friends into
foes. By making the
disciplined effort to name our enemies correctly, we
will learn more
about them, and
come one step nearer, perhaps, to solving the
seemingly intractable and
increasingly perilous problems of our divided world.

· Karen Armstrong is author of Islam: a Short History
karmstronginfo at btopenworld.com

http://www.guardian.co.uk/attackonlondon/comment/story/0,16141,1525894,00.html