[Peace-discuss] Re: "Liberal" media

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 19 14:42:09 CDT 2005

Suppose we were talking to a member of the German government
sometime from mid-1940 to mid-1944, and he said the following:

“We hear constantly that those of us who support moving out of
France slowly to avoid massive civilian casualties are
'pro-war' ... My reasoning is based entirely on number of
French people killed per day ... Now that the political
elements there have begun to turn to attacking each other [as
Left and Right in France did under the Occupation and
afterwards], it becomes clearer than ever that the Germans'
job as honorable compassionate people, post-invasion, is to
get out, but to clean up the mess the invasion made before we
leave.”

Would we believe him at all? Probably not.  But suppose he was
sincere.  Then his protestation that his was an anti-war
position -- that he was “talking about defusing the potential
for *more* war” -- would simply seem deluded.  “Cleaning up”
and “defusing” would be obvious euphemisms for continuing the
effects of the German invasion -- an unavoidably pro-war
position. --CGE