[Peace-discuss] Re: "Liberal" media

ouroboros rex c-bee1 at itg.uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 19 15:27:54 CDT 2005

C. G. Estabrook wrote:

>Suppose we were talking to a member of the German government
>sometime from mid-1940 to mid-1944, and he said the following:
>
>“We hear constantly that those of us who support moving out of
>France slowly to avoid massive civilian casualties are
>'pro-war' ... My reasoning is based entirely on number of
>French people killed per day ... Now that the political
>elements there have begun to turn to attacking each other [as
>Left and Right in France did under the Occupation and
>afterwards], it becomes clearer than ever that the Germans'
>job as honorable compassionate people, post-invasion, is to
>get out, but to clean up the mess the invasion made before we
>leave.”
>
>Would we believe him at all? Probably not.  But suppose he was
>sincere.  Then his protestation that his was an anti-war
>position -- that he was “talking about defusing the potential
>for *more* war” -- would simply seem deluded.  “Cleaning up”
>and “defusing” would be obvious euphemisms for continuing the
>effects of the German invasion -- an unavoidably pro-war
>position. --CGE

   The depths to which you have to go to refute my argument indict your
position more thoroughly than I ever could, but it would still be
interesting to see evidence of these civil struggles in France -
particularly their genesis in old religious rivalries, the church
bombings, and the routine calls for civil war from the pulpit.

   Or is this just a particularly dishonest and disgusting straw man?